Ukraine says more than 30 separatists killed in Slaviansk fighting
KIEV (Reuters) - More than 30 pro-Russian separatists were killed in fighting near the rebel stronghold of Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine, Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said on Tuesday.
"We estimate that the terrorists lost more than 30 people," Avakov wrote on Facebook.
Pro-Russian rebels ambushed Ukrainian forces on Monday, triggering fierce fighting near Slaviansk. Avakov said four Ukrainian servicemen had been killed and 20 wounded.
The pro-Russian rebels said on Monday four of their number had been killed in the fighting.
(Reporting by Pavel Polityuk, Writing by Elizabeth Piper, Editing by Timothy Heritage) nL6N0NS1EA
- California passes 'yes-means-yes' campus sexual assault bill
- In town halls, U.S. lawmakers hear voter anger over illegal migrants |
- Ukraine seeks to join NATO; defiant Putin compares Kiev to Nazis |
- IBM launches Watson system for research, hopes for breakthroughs
- U.N. says 43 Golan peacekeepers seized by Syria militants, 81 trapped