At least 40 die after migrant boat sinks off Libya - ministry
TRIPOLI May 11 (Reuters) - At least 40 people died and 51 were rescued after a boat carrying migrants sank off Libya's coast east of Tripoli, Rami Kaal, a spokesman for the Libyan ministry of interior said on Sunday.
Libya's porous borders with its sub-Saharan neighbours and its proximity to Italy and Malta across the Mediterranean have made the North African country a common transit route for migrants trying to reach Europe. (Reporting by Ahmed Elumami; Writing by Patrick Markey; Editing by Andrew Heavens)
- Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, people leave early
- Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to defenders |
- Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, some leave early
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free, holds lessons for others |
- U.S. stocks end higher despite drag from IBM