Turkish coal mine blast kills 151, toll could rise -minister
ISTANBUL May 14 (Reuters) - An explosion and fire in a Turkish coal mine killed 151 people on Tuesday and the death toll could rise with hundreds more still trapped, Energy Minister Taner Yildiz said.
Speaking to reporters at the scene of the disaster, Yildiz said 787 workers were inside the mine when the blast hit a power unit. Another 76 people were injured and hospitalised, he said. (Reporting by Humeyra Pamuk; Editing by Nick Tattersall and Eric Walsh)
- U.S. forces carry out operation against al-Shabaab in Somalia
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'undisguised aggression' as rebels advance |
- Marilyn Monroe sex film to be kept private |
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence contacts authorities after nude photos hacked
- Fast-food workers to launch intensified protests across U.S.