U.S. Senate finance panel approves Burwell as health secretary
WASHINGTON May 21 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate Finance Committee voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve the nomination of Sylvia Mathews Burwell as U.S. health secretary.
The 21-3 decision, with three Republican lawmakers voting 'no,' sends Burwell's nomination to the Senate floor for a final confirmation vote that could come after lawmakers return from a one-week break for the U.S. Memorial Day holiday, which begins on Monday. (Reporting by David Morgan; Editing by Bill Trott)
- U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on IS in Syria |
- Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- Argentina's Fernandez to meet billionaire investor Soros in New York
- Ebola could strike 20,000 in six weeks, 'rumble on for years': study
- Air France strike crisis deepens as both sides dig in