Obama to announce post-2014 troop levels in Afghanistan shortly
BAGRAM AIR BASE, Afghanistan
BAGRAM AIR BASE, Afghanistan (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Sunday his administration was likely to have an announcement soon on how many U.S. troops to keep in Afghanistan after 2014.
Speaking at a briefing by military commanders during a surprise trip to Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan, Obama said one of the reasons for his visit was to discuss the U.S. footprint there for the rest of this year and afterward.
"We'll probably be announcing some decisions fairly shortly," he said.
- Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729 |
- S&P 500 posts worst day since April; indexes down for month
- U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Netanyahu vows to complete Gaza tunnels destruction |