Shots heard at Donetsk airport, smoke seen inside perimeter -witness
DONETSK, Ukraine May 26 (Reuters) - Reuters journalists near Donetsk international airport in eastern Ukraine heard sustained gunfire in the vicinity and saw smoke billowing from somewhere inside the perimeter on Monday.
On the day after a presidential election, gunmen forced the closure of the airport to flights and took over the terminal, demanding the withdrawal of Ukrainian forces from the facility. (Reporting by Gabriela Baczynska; Writing by Alastair Macdonald; Editing by Gareth Jones)
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt
- Oil price declines have small-cap shale investors scrambling
- China says nets 180 graft suspects in overseas manhunt