France says BNP Paribas' $10 bln U.S. fine "unreasonable"
PARIS, June 3
PARIS, June 3 (Reuters) - France's foreign minister said on Tuesday his country would defend the interests of French bank BNP Paribas PA> after it faced the prospect of a $10 billion-plus fine from the United States and called the penalty "unreasonable."
"The fine has to be proportionate and reasonable," Laurent Fabius said on France 2 television. "These figures are not reasonable."
Fabius said the United States should deal with the issue as partner and not unilaterally.
(Reporting By John Irish; editing by Dominique Vidalon)
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic still trying to wrap head around No. 1 album
- World's oldest joke traced back to 1900 BC
- French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane |
- Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800 |
- Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali |