France says BNP Paribas' $10 bln U.S. fine "unreasonable"
PARIS, June 3
PARIS, June 3 (Reuters) - France's foreign minister said on Tuesday his country would defend the interests of French bank BNP Paribas PA> after it faced the prospect of a $10 billion-plus fine from the United States and called the penalty "unreasonable."
"The fine has to be proportionate and reasonable," Laurent Fabius said on France 2 television. "These figures are not reasonable."
Fabius said the United States should deal with the issue as partner and not unilaterally.
(Reporting By John Irish; editing by Dominique Vidalon)
- U.S., Arab partners launch first strikes on IS in Syria
- Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- Ebola could strike 20,000 in six weeks, 'rumble on for years': study
- Argentina's Fernandez to meet billionaire investor Soros in New York
- More Americans than ever have never married: survey