France says BNP Paribas' $10 bln U.S. fine "unreasonable"
PARIS, June 3
PARIS, June 3 (Reuters) - France's foreign minister said on Tuesday his country would defend the interests of French bank BNP Paribas PA> after it faced the prospect of a $10 billion-plus fine from the United States and called the penalty "unreasonable."
"The fine has to be proportionate and reasonable," Laurent Fabius said on France 2 television. "These figures are not reasonable."
Fabius said the United States should deal with the issue as partner and not unilaterally.
(Reporting By John Irish; editing by Dominique Vidalon)
- Israel intensifies Gaza assault, Egyptians revise truce plan |
- Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine
- Special Report: Where Ukraine's separatists get their weapons
- EU agrees first broad sanctions on Russia; U.S. expected to follow
- Obama wrote Putin about violation of nuclear treaty -White House