Libyan renegade general survives assassination attempt: sources
BENGHAZI Libya (Reuters) - A Libyan renegade general survived an attempt to kill him outside Benghazi on Wednesday, army sources said.
A suicide bomber drove a Land Cruiser packed with explosives to the base of retired general Khalifa Haftar, his spokesman Mohamed El-Hejazi said, adding Haftar had not been hurt.
Military sources said two of Haftar's guards were killed.
Haftar has launched a campaign to what he calls purge the North African country of Islamists.
- Hong Kong protesters plan march after fruitless talks with government
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade
- Three Denver girls reportedly en route to Turkey detained, sent home