Ukrainian forces surround rebel-held port city
KIEV, June 13
KIEV, June 13 (Reuters) - Ukrainian forces surrounded the rebel-held port city of Mariupol in fighting with pro-Russian separatists after launching a dawn attack on Friday, the country's interior minister said on his Facebook page.
The rebel forces, who oppose the pro-European leadership in the capital Kiev, confirmed fighting was under way and said five of their number had been killed. Mariupol is Ukraine's largest Azov Sea port, and is important for steel exports.
(Reporting by Pavel Polityuk, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
- Restraint marks Ferguson, Missouri protests for third straight night |
- Gaza gunmen execute 'collaborators'; mortar kills Israeli boy |
- U.S. says Russia must pull convoy from Ukraine or face more sanctions |
- Trucks from aid convoy to Ukraine start crossing back into Russia |
- U.S. hostage rescuers dropped from night sky: Syria activist