Ukrainian forces surround rebel-held port city
KIEV, June 13
KIEV, June 13 (Reuters) - Ukrainian forces surrounded the rebel-held port city of Mariupol in fighting with pro-Russian separatists after launching a dawn attack on Friday, the country's interior minister said on his Facebook page.
The rebel forces, who oppose the pro-European leadership in the capital Kiev, confirmed fighting was under way and said five of their number had been killed. Mariupol is Ukraine's largest Azov Sea port, and is important for steel exports.
(Reporting by Pavel Polityuk, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
- Washington wins diplomatic support for campaign in Iraq; Syria trickier |
- Apple iPhone 6 pre-orders hit record 4 million on first day |
- Western sanctions are testing Russia's strength: Medvedev |
- Alibaba worried about Facebook IPO as considered Nasdaq versus NYSE |
- Exclusive: Two Apple medical trials shed light on how HealthKit will work