Chile strike twice before Cahill gives Australia hope
CUIABA Brazil (Reuters) - Chile rocked Australia with two early goals in their World Cup Group B opener on Friday before the Socceroos got one back to trail 2-1 at halftime.
Alexis Sanchez's close-range finish on 12 minutes was quickly followed by Jorge Valdivia's fine strike but Tim Cahill's powerful header after 35 minutes reduced the deficit.
- Gaza fighting abates as diplomatic tension flares |
- Hague court orders Russia to pay over $50 billion in Yukos case
- Europe nervy as Russian assets hit by new sanctions talk
- Ukraine troops advance as experts renew attempt to reach crash site
- Pushing locals aside, Russians take top rebel posts in east Ukraine