Medtronic in talks to combine with Covidien in $45 bln deal -source
June 14 (Reuters) - U.S. medical device maker Medtronic Inc is in advanced talks to merge with rival Covidien Plc in a deal valued at between $45 billion and $50 billion, a person familiar with the matter said on Saturday.
The deal, which would allow Medtronic to be domiciled in Ireland where Covidien is based and thus take advantage of lower tax rates, could come as soon as Monday, the person said, asking not to be named because the matter is not public.
The discussions could still fall apart at the last minute. Representatives for Medtronic and Covidien could not be immediately reached for comment.
- Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- Wall St. finally turning on Amazon as Bezos magic fades
- Two deputies killed, two others hurt in California shooting spree
- Easter Island's ancient inhabitants weren't so lonely after all
- Medical worker quarantined in New Jersey under new Ebola safeguards |