Republicans choose Scalise as House party whip
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House of Representatives Republicans elected Steve Scalise of Louisiana on Thursday as the caucus' next whip, the No. 3 spot in the party's House leadership, a Republican aide said.
Scalise defeated two other candidates, Representatives Peter Roskam and Marlin Stutzman, to clinch the victory. He will succeed Representative Kevin McCarthy, earlier elected to the position of majority leader, the House's No. 2 Republican, when Eric Cantor steps down on July 31.
- Obama critic D'Souza spared prison for violating election law
- U.S. and Arab allies launch first strikes on fighters in Syria |
- Fired UPS worker kills two supervisors, self, in Alabama shooting
- Israel downs Syrian warplane it says violated its Golan airspace
- Argentina's Fernandez to meet billionaire investor Soros in New York