BRIEF-Shire says AbbVie Inc proposal undervalues company
June 20 (Reuters) -
* Shire plc reg-shire plc: shire confirms rejection of abbvie proposal
* Decided unanimously to reject proposal on basis that it fundamentally undervalued company and its prospects
* Shareholders are strongly advised to take no action in relation to proposal
* Proposal comprised £20.44 in cash and 0.7988 abbvie shares per shire share.
* Proposal involved a new us listed holding company with a uk tax domicile.
* A premium of 30% to shire's 30 day volume weighted average share price of £ 35.43.
* A premium of 23% to shire's share price of £37.38 on 19 june 2014 ( business day prior to this announcement); and
* Board also had concerns regarding execution risks associated with proposed inversion structure, as abbvie would redomicile in uk for tax purposes
* Proposal would deny shire shareholders full benefits of shire's growth strategy
* Shire will more than double its 2013 annual product sales to us$10 billion by 2020 Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:
- Ukraine president accuses Russian soldiers of backing rebel thrust |
- Video shows Islamic State executes scores of Syrian soldiers |
- In town halls, U.S. lawmakers hear voter anger over illegal migrants |
- Comedian Joan Rivers, 81, rushed to New York hospital
- Comedian Joan Rivers 'resting comfortably' at hospital |