Dollar at 5-month low below 34 roubles after Ukraine ceasefire
MOSCOW, June 24
MOSCOW, June 24 (Reuters) - The U.S. dollar has fallen to below 34 Russian roubles for first time since Jan. 23.
The rouble weakened to 36.71 to the dollar in mid-March as international tensions around Ukraine escalated, but has since recovered ground. Late on Monday, Ukraine's eastern pro-Russian rebels agreed to observe a ceasefire with government forces at least until Friday morning to allow peace talks to proceed.
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Carnage at U.N. school as Israel pounds Gaza Strip |
- U.S. economy back on track with strong second-quarter rebound |
- Argentina fails to reach debt agreement, default looms
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’