Magnitude 7.1 quake hits near Visokoi Island, off South America
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - A magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit about 100 miles north-northwest of Visokoi Island in the South Sandwich Islands off South America, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
The quake's depth was measured at 9.1 miles deep.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said that based on historical data the threat of a widespread destructive tsunami did not exist.
(Editing by Matt Driskill)
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza |
- U.S. hospital to discharge doctor treated with experimental Ebola drug
- British Muslim calls for action on jihadi subculture after beheading video |
- Obama condemns killing of reporter, U.S. hits militants in Iraq |
- Ukraine border guards begin checks on Russian aid trucks