Child killed by falling security door at Philadelphia ice treat shop: report
PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A 3-year-old girl was killed on Saturday when a metal security door fell on her at a flavored ice shop in Philadelphia, according to local media reports.
The child was with her mother at a Rita's Italian Ice location in the Brewerytown neighborhood when the security door detached from the building and trapped her underneath it, TV station WPVI reported, citing information from police.
People at the scene lifted the door off the girl and tried to revive her, and she was taken to a hospital where she was pronounced dead, the station reported.
A Philadelphia police representative could not be reached for comment. Police are investigating the death, WPVI said.
"Our hearts and prayers go out to the child's family. Due to the current investigation we really cannot comment about the unfortunate incident," a representative for the chain Rita's Italian Ice said in a statement.
- Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, people leave early
- Two arrested in death of Saudi student in California: report
- Turkey to let Iraqi Kurds reinforce Kobani as U.S. drops arms to defenders
- After clashes, Hong Kong students, government stand their ground before talks |
- Solid data, earnings push world stocks higher