Five injured after Brooklyn Bridge facade collapses
(Reuters) - A section of a stone facade inside a Brooklyn Bridge underpass collapsed late on Wednesday evening, injuring five people, a New York City fire official said.
The roughly 25-foot section of stonework toppled before 8 p.m. local time, New York City Fire Department spokesman Jim Long said.
"There is nothing structurally wrong with the bridge," Long said, adding that the people who were injured were not hit with the heavier chunks of falling debris.
The cause was being investigated.
(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson; Editing by Kim Coghill)
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, nationalist leader resigns |
- Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team
- Alibaba surges on massive demand in trading debut |
- Special Report: Scotland stays in UK, but Britain faces change