Five injured after Brooklyn Bridge facade collapses
(Reuters) - A section of a stone facade inside a Brooklyn Bridge underpass collapsed late on Wednesday evening, injuring five people, a New York City fire official said.
The roughly 25-foot section of stonework toppled before 8 p.m. local time, New York City Fire Department spokesman Jim Long said.
"There is nothing structurally wrong with the bridge," Long said, adding that the people who were injured were not hit with the heavier chunks of falling debris.
The cause was being investigated.
(Reporting by Eric M. Johnson; Editing by Kim Coghill)
- IPhone emerges from 'bygone era', reviewers hail bigger handset
- Fed may hint on rate-hike plan as it prepares for policy turn
- Scots' support for independence lags on eve of referendum |
- Boeing, SpaceX win contracts to build 'space taxis' for NASA
- Islamic State campaign tests Obama's commitment to Mideast allies