Erste Group says no contact from U.S. authorities
VIENNA, July 8
VIENNA, July 8 (Reuters) - Austria's Erste Group Bank is not in touch with U.S. officials who have been probing European banks about dealings with countries blacklisted by the United States, a bank spokesman said on Tuesday.
"We have not been contacted by U.S. authorities," a spokesman for Austria's biggest bank said. Its shares were down 3.4 percent at 18.325 euros by 1013 GMT in a weaker European bank sector.
U.S. authorities have begun settlement talks with Germany's Commerzbank and Deutsche Bank over their dealings with blacklisted countries, a source with knowledge of the investigation said earlier.
Deutsche Bank and Commerzbank declined to comment.
- Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729 |
- S&P 500 posts worst day since April; indexes down for month
- U.S. man sues soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo over CR7 trademark
- Moscow fights back after sanctions; battle rages near Ukraine crash site |
- Netanyahu vows to complete Gaza tunnels destruction |