UPDATE 1-Rockets fired at Tel Aviv intercepted - military
JERUSALEM, July 9 (Reuters) - At least two rockets fired from the Gaza Strip at Tel Aviv on Wednesday were shot down mid-air by Israel's Iron Dome defense system, the Israeli military said.
"Initial indications suggest two rockets were intercepted above the Tel Aviv area", a military spokeswoman said after air raid sirens were heard in Tel Aviv and across central Israel.
Israel says that Hamas Islamists in Gaza have dozens of long-range rockets capable of striking deeper into Israel than ever before. (Reporting by Ari Rabinovitch; Editing by Miral Fahmy and Jeremy Laurence)
- Merkel says tightening Ukraine-Russian border is key to peace deal |
- Restraint marks Ferguson, Missouri protests for third straight night |
- Gaza gunmen execute 'collaborators'; mortar kills Israeli boy |
- U.S. hostage rescuers dropped from night sky: Syria activist
- U.S. says Russia must pull convoy from Ukraine or face more sanctions |