Merkel says spying on allies is a waste of energy
BERLIN (Reuters) - Spying on allies is a waste of energy, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Thursday when asked about two suspected U.S. spy cases that have come to light in the last few days and caused anger in Germany.
"From my point of view, spying on allies... is a waste of energy. We have so many problems, we should focus on the important things," Merkel said in some of her strongest comments yet on the subject at a news conference with visiting Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca.
She said the priorities should include dealing with challenges in Syria and fighting terrorists and that confidence between allies should be strengthened.
- Israel warns of long Gaza war as Palestinian fighters cross border |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- Court orders Russia to pay $50 billion for seizing Yukos assets |
- Man found dead trapped between elevator and shaft wall in NYC
- Wall Street yawns as deal news offsets data; Herbalife sinks