Merkel says spying on allies is a waste of energy
BERLIN (Reuters) - Spying on allies is a waste of energy, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Thursday when asked about two suspected U.S. spy cases that have come to light in the last few days and caused anger in Germany.
"From my point of view, spying on allies... is a waste of energy. We have so many problems, we should focus on the important things," Merkel said in some of her strongest comments yet on the subject at a news conference with visiting Moldovan Prime Minister Iurie Leanca.
She said the priorities should include dealing with challenges in Syria and fighting terrorists and that confidence between allies should be strengthened.
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- New York police officer critically wounded in hatchet attack |
- Doctor with Ebola in NY hospital, nurse declared virus-free
- Exclusive: Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- Putin accuses United States of damaging world order