Warburton to miss Commonwealth Games after dope charge
(Reuters) - Welsh 800 meter runner Gareth Warburton will miss the Commonwealth Games after being suspended from all competition following a doping violation, UK Athletics said on Wednesday.
The 31-year-old Warburton, who was part of Team GB at the London 2012 Olympic Games, has the opportunity to respond to the charges and can also have them determined at a full hearing before the National Anti-Doping Panel.
"The news of this anti-doping rule violation has come as a great shock to me," Warburton said in a statement. "From the outset, I would like to state that I have not knowingly taken any banned substance."
The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow run from July 23 to Aug. 3.
(Reporting By Michael Hann)
- Islamic State issues video of beheading of U.S. hostage |
- U.S. military strike in Somalia targeted al Shabaab leader
- Marilyn Monroe sex film to be kept private |
- Actress Jennifer Lawrence contacts authorities after nude photos hacked
- Ukraine accuses Russia of 'undisguised aggression' as rebels advance |