Egyptian police officer shot dead in Sinai
CAIRO (Reuters) - One Egyptian police officer was shot dead on Friday by unknown armed assailants in the North Sinai city of El-Arish, security sources told Reuters.
The lieutenant was shot several times as he made his way home, they said.
Egypt has been hit by a wave of violence, mainly by militants based in the Sinai peninsula against security forces, since the army ousted president Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood last year.
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- New York police officer critically wounded in hatchet attack
- Doctor with Ebola in New York hospital after return from Guinea
- Exclusive: Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- Ground offensive against Islamic State months away in Iraq: U.S.