Egyptian police officer shot dead in Sinai
CAIRO (Reuters) - One Egyptian police officer was shot dead on Friday by unknown armed assailants in the North Sinai city of El-Arish, security sources told Reuters.
The lieutenant was shot several times as he made his way home, they said.
Egypt has been hit by a wave of violence, mainly by militants based in the Sinai peninsula against security forces, since the army ousted president Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood last year.
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |
- Alibaba surges 38 percent on massive demand in market debut |
- Eight bodies found after attack on Guinea Ebola education team
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |