Jokowi's party claims victory in Indonesian presidential election
JAKARTA (Reuters) - Jakarta Governor Joko "Jokowi" Widodo will be Indonesia's next leader after winning the country's closest ever presidential election, the chairwoman of Jokowi's party said on Tuesday.
"I want to declare that we, the party that supports and puts forward Joko Widodo and Jusuf Kalla, has won," said party chairwoman Megawati Sukarnoputri at a news briefing. Jusuf Kalla was Jokowi's running mate.
Jokowi will take office in October to serve a five-year term.
(Reporting by Eveline Danubrata, Dennys Kapa and Nilufar Rizki)
- Army officer takes charge in Burkina Faso, ousting general |
- UK says will pay off part of World War One-era debt next year
- Kurdish peshmerga forces enter Syria's Kobani after further air strikes |
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California |
- Test flight of Virgin Galactic spaceship ends in fatal crash in California