UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Thursday July 24
EDINBURGH, July 24
EDINBURGH, July 24 (Reuters) - Britain's FTSE 100 index is seen opening down 9 to 11 points, or as much as 0.2 percent lower on Thursday, according to financial bookmakers. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on
* The UK blue chip index closed up 2.81 points, flat in percentage terms, at 6,798.15 points, as a profit warning by heavyweight drugs firm GlaxoSmithKline offset gains in outsourcing group Capita and miner BHP Billiton.
* BHP BILLITON PLC, ANGLO AMERICAN PLC - The miners are looking to sell their jointly owned manganese assets portfolio in South Africa and Australia, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
* STANDARD CHARTERED PLC - The bank dismissed media rumours that its chairman was working on a succession plan amid shareholder pressure.
* BG GROUP - The oil and gas firm is considering selling its largest operations in the North Sea for about 1 billion pounds ($1.70 billion), The Times reported on Thursday.
* BANKS - Britain's markets regulator and a group of global banks are in talks to reach a first settlement in a currency-rigging probe, with a deal possible this year, Bloomberg reported.
* BSKYB - BSkyB is set to confirm its expansion in Europe on Friday, the Financial Times reported.
* UK CORPORATE DIARY:
BRITVIC PLC Q3 TRADE
CLOSE BROTHERS GROUP PLC TRADING
CSR PLC Q2
DAILY MAIL AND GENERAL TRUST PLC Q3 TRADE
ELECTROCOMPONENTS PLC H1
ELECTROCOMPONENTS PLC TRADING
EASYJET PLC Q3 TRADE
HALMA PLC TRADING
HAMMERSON PLC H1
HOWDEN JOINERY GROUP PLC H1
LANCASHIRE HOLDINGS LTD Q2
MITCHELLS & BUTLERS PLC Q3 TRADE
MARSTON'S PLC TRADING
THE PARAGON GROUP OF COMPANIES PLC Q3
RATHBONE BROTHERS PLC H1
REED ELSEVIER PLC H1
SABMILLER PLC TRADING
SHAFTESBURY PLC TRADING
TATE & LYLE PLC TRADING
UNILEVER PLC Q2
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines Multimedia versions of Reuters Top News are now available for: * 3000 Xtra : visit topnews.session.rservices.com * BridgeStation: view story .134 For more information on Top News visit topnews.reuters.com (Reporting by Alistair Smout)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola zones |
- NYC police say hatchet attack by Islam convert was terrorism |
- 'We won't pay,' furious Cameron tells EU over surprise bill |