Samsung Elec Q2 operating profit down 24.6 pct y/y
SEOUL, July 31
SEOUL, July 31 (Reuters) - South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co Ltd on Thursday reported a 24.6 percent fall in second-quarter operating profit, in line with guidance, due to disappointing returns from its smartphone business.
The world's biggest smartphone maker reported an April-June operating profit of 7.2 trillion won ($7.03 billion), matching its guidance of 7.2 trillion won.
Operating profit for the mobile division fell to 4.42 trillion won from 6.28 trillion won a year ago and 6.43 trillion won in the previous quarter.
Shares of Samsung Electronics, worth $224 billion, closed up 0.7 percent on Wednesday compared with a 1 percent rise for the wider market. ($1 = 1023.9000 Korean Won) (Reporting by Se Young Lee; Editing by Stephen Coates)
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- Secret Service investigates after man jumps White House fence, reaches doors
- French jets strike in Iraq, expanding U.S.-led campaign against Islamic State |
- Scots spurn independence in historic vote, devolution battle begins |
- N.Korea says imprisoned American tried to become 'second Snowden'