Rudy Gay added as replacement for Team USA
(Reuters) - Sacramento Kings forward Rudy Gay has been added to the roster of players vying for a spot on the injury-hit Team USA roster for this month's Basketball World Cup in Spain.
The decision to add Gay, announced on Friday in a statement by USA Basketball, comes a day after NBA most valuable player Kevin Durant withdrew from the team citing mental and physical exhaustion.
Gay averaged 20 points, 6 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 73 games during the 2013-14 NBA season which he spent with Toronto and Sacramento.
He was also on the U.S. team that captured the gold medal at the 2010 World Championships.
The United States opens play in the World Cup on Aug. 30 against Finland.
(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto)
- More troops deployed in Ferguson to guard against fresh riots |
- Merkel hits diplomatic dead-end with Putin
- Jewish-nation bill frays Israel's delicate social fabric
- Ukraine reports new arrivals of Russian supplies for eastern rebels |
- Gunshots echo as violence returns to Ferguson, protests across U.S.