Rudy Gay added as replacement for Team USA
(Reuters) - Sacramento Kings forward Rudy Gay has been added to the roster of players vying for a spot on the injury-hit Team USA roster for this month's Basketball World Cup in Spain.
The decision to add Gay, announced on Friday in a statement by USA Basketball, comes a day after NBA most valuable player Kevin Durant withdrew from the team citing mental and physical exhaustion.
Gay averaged 20 points, 6 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 73 games during the 2013-14 NBA season which he spent with Toronto and Sacramento.
He was also on the U.S. team that captured the gold medal at the 2010 World Championships.
The United States opens play in the World Cup on Aug. 30 against Finland.
(Reporting by Frank Pingue in Toronto)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Probe: Athletes took fake classes at University of North Carolina
- Canadian police see no apparent links in Quebec, Ottawa attacks |
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients
- Exclusive: Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement