Special forces loyal to Maliki deployed in key Baghdad areas -police
BAGHDAD Aug 11 (Reuters) - Special forces loyal to Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki were deployed on Sunday night in strategic areas of Baghdad, police said, after he gave a tough speech on television indicating he would not cave in to pressure to drop his bid for a third term.
Several police sources also said the forces had taken up positions at key entrances to the sprawling capital. (Reporting by Ahmed Rasheed; Writing by Michael Georgy; Editing by Sandra Maler)
- Tesla says in talks with BMW over car batteries, parts
- Iran nuclear talks extended seven months after deadline missed
- Exclusive: China ready to cut rates again on fears of deflation - sources
- Actor Dwight Henry eyed in New Orleans killing after arrest for theft
- Some fund managers see oil falling to $60 without OPEC cut