Singapore's GIC takes 18.5 pct stake in Brazil education firm April
SINGAPORE Aug 15 (Reuters) - Singapore sovereign wealth fund GIC said on Friday it has acquired an 18.5 percent stake in Brazilian education services company Abril Educacao SA .
GIC did not say how much it paid for the stake in Abril, a leading player in Brazil's primary and secondary education market. Based on Abril's latest closing share price, the stake is worth about $265 million.
Funds managed by Brazilian buyout firm Tarpon Investimentos <SA TRPN3.SA> in June also took a significant stake in Abril.
GIC has recently stepped up investments in Latin America, recently buying a stake in Brazilian online sports goods retailer Netshoes. It also opened an office in Brazil earlier this year.
(Reporting by Saeed Azhar; Editing by Kenneth Maxwell)
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade
- Hong Kong protesters plan march after fruitless talks with government
- Three Denver girls reportedly en route to Turkey detained, sent home