Panthers' Newton breaks rib, should be fit for opener
(Reuters) - Quarterback Cam Newton will miss the Carolina Panthers' final pre-season game due to a hairline fracture in his ribs but is expected to be ready for their season opener, the team said on Sunday after medical scans confirmed the injury.
Carolina's final pre-season game is against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday before they meet the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their season opener on Sept. 7.
The 25-year-old Newton, who guided the Panthers to the playoffs in 2013, underwent ankle surgery during the off-season.
(Writing by Jahmal Corner in Los Angeles; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- Canada probes Michael Zehaf-Bibeau as possible suspect in Ottawa shooting: source
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade