Australia new homes sales fall 5.7 pct in July - industry
SYDNEY Aug 28 (Reuters) - Sales of new homes in Australia slipped by 5.7 percent in July but still remained at a historically high level, an industry survey showed on Thursday.
The Housing Industry Association (HIA) said its survey of large builders showed sales of private sector new houses fell 4.7 percent while multi-unit sales pulled back by 10.9 percent after jumping in June.
Record-low interest rates have led to a marked pickup in home prices and clearance rates at auctions, while approvals to build new homes are trending strongly higher. (Reporting by Wayne Cole; Editing by Eric Meijer)
- Canada's parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby |
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- Canada probes Michael Zehaf-Bibeau as possible suspect in Ottawa shooting: source
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade