Australia shares close lower on miners, Qantas at June highs
(Updates to close)
SYDNEY Aug 28 (Reuters) - Australian shares fell 0.5 percent on Thursday as persistent weakness in iron ore prices hit miners, though a jump in Qantas helped bolster investor sentiment.
Australia's national carrier Qantas Airways Ltd soared 7 percent to A$1.385, its highest since early June.
The S&P/ASX 200 index dipped 26.8 points to 5,624.4 at the close of trade. The index added 0.2 percent on Wednesday, closing at a six-year high.
New Zealand's benchmark NZX 50 index slipped 0.1 percent or 6.2 points to finish the session at 5,237.5. (Reporting by Thuy Ong; Editing by Jacqueline Wong)
- Tesla says in talks with BMW over car batteries, parts
- Exclusive: China ready to cut rates again on fears of deflation - sources
- Actor Dwight Henry eyed in New Orleans killing after arrest for theft
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip: report
- Obama to Republican critics on immigration: 'Pass a bill'