EU urgently to draw up possible new sanctions on Russia-draft
BRUSSELS Aug 30 (Reuters) - European Union leaders will ask officials on Saturday to prepare urgently possible new sanctions against Russia over its involvement in Ukraine, according to a draft statement seen by Reuters.
EU leaders, meeting in Brussels, will say that they stand ready to take further steps against Russia depending on developments on the ground, according to the draft.
They will ask the EU's executive Commission and the EU's diplomatic service to work together "to urgently undertake preparatory work" on further sanctions. (Reporting by Barbara Lewis, Adrian Croft; editing by Foo Yun Chee)
- Up to 18 exposed to U.S. Ebola patient, including children |
- First Ebola case diagnosed in the United States: CDC |
- Israel's Netanyahu to Obama: Don't allow Iran deal that leaves it at nuclear threshold
- Turkey vows to fight Islamic State, coalition strikes near border |
- Hong Kong leader plays waiting game, protesters demand he resigns |