Russian shares, rouble surge after Russian and Ukrainian presidents agree ceasefire
MOSCOW, Sept 3
MOSCOW, Sept 3 (Reuters) - Russian shares surged after Ukraine's President Poroshenko said that he had agreed with President Vladimir Putin on a permanent ceasefire in the Donbass region of eastern Ukraine.
At 0810 GMT, the dollar-denominated RTS index was up 3.9 percent on the day at 1,224 points, with the rouble-based MICEX index up 2.6 percent to 1,437 points.
The rouble also soared, gaining 1.3 pct against the dollar to 36.98. (Reporting by Jason Bush; Editing by Lidia Kelly)
- Three Denver girls reportedly en route to Turkey detained, sent home
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- U.S. to funnel travelers from Ebola-hit region through five airports
- UPDATE 8-U.S. to funnel travelers from Ebola-hit region through 5 airports