January 8, 2010 / 6:12 PM / in 8 years

Soccer-Angola says Togo team attack an act of terrorism

LUANDA, Jan 8 (Reuters) - An Angolan minister said on Friday an attack on the Togo soccer team in the country’s northern Cabinda province ahead of the African nations cup was an act of terrorism which was being investigated by authorities.

Antonio Bento Bembe, Angola’s minister without porfolio who is in charge of Cabinda affairs, said several members of the Togo delegation were injured after the bus that was carrying them was shot at by unknown people.

A Togolese official said earlier that the driver of the bus was killed.

“This was an act of terrorism that is being dealt with as we speak,” Bento Bembe told Reuters. Asked if there were any injuries, he replied, “I can confirm there are injuries but I still don’t have all the information.” (Reporting by Luanda newsroom; Editing by Louise Ireland)

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
0 : 0
  • narrow-browser-and-phone
  • medium-browser-and-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser
  • wide-browser-and-larger
  • medium-browser-and-landscape-tablet
  • medium-wide-browser-and-larger
  • above-phone
  • portrait-tablet-and-above
  • above-portrait-tablet
  • landscape-tablet-and-above
  • landscape-tablet-and-medium-wide-browser
  • portrait-tablet-and-below
  • landscape-tablet-and-below