EU slaps sanctions on Assad's family; mortars hit Homs

Comments (23)
Austell wrote:

What was actually called for was an end to fighting by BOTH SIDES.

Reuters is not reporting this.

The Syrian authorities have stated that they will only use their military in response to armed aggression and international military assistance, and thus if the Islamic militants throw down their weapons they will move the military back out of terrorist strongholds. But the militants have ignored the ceasefire agreement and instead used it, as they did last time under the arab league, to consolidate their positions and escalate their attacks against Syria.

Reuters is not reporting this either.

Meanwhile in Bahrain, a few weeks ago the country had the largest demonstration in the countries history, with over 250,000 people taking to the streets in the tiny nation.

Reuters did not report this either.

Yesterday in Bahrain media was reporting that the trial of 20 doctors and surgeons will go ahead as planned by the dictator in an attempt to intimidate and silence the best witnesses to injury, murder and oppression by the totalitarian US ally.

Reuters did not report this either.

Mar 22, 2012 11:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Harry079 wrote:

No Coke or Pepsi for you Assad’s!

Mar 23, 2012 9:37am EDT  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

Austell…actions speak louder than words. Both sides may say that they agree to a ceasefire, but it hasn’t happened.

For arguments sake, let us accept your bold assertion that there is ABSOULTELY NO organic Syrian opposition to Assad and that rather the entire opposition is comprised only of Islamic militants. Your proposed solution is that “if the Islamic militants throw down their weapons” that Assad will back off. How about Assad backs off first and stops killing innocent people through a blind shelling campaign supposedly aimed at killing said militants?

If it comes down to who is going to lay their guns down first Assad will lose because as you clearly state, the militants have not laid down their weapons, I don’t expect Assad to and if this conflict continues to escalate there will undoubtedly be outside military force imposed that is FAR beyond what you claim is occuring now. So in my mind, it would be in Assad’s best interest to be the first one to put his guns down.

Speaking of Bahrain, is that again islamic militants? In the meantime, the international community is focused on Syria not only because violence has persisted there for much longer but more importantly for it’s strategic links to Iran.

Syria falls, then Iran. Bahrain is background noise at this point to US interests and that is why it is not being reported on.

Mar 23, 2012 10:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
thebruce wrote:

we should put austell in charge of the world and see how quickly everything goes to hell.

Mar 23, 2012 10:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Fromkin wrote:

Attacking family members of a country leader has become a dangerous trend on the part of western officials. Assad children are not sanctionned probably because they are underaged. If he had adult children they could have sanctionned and killed them like Kadhafi’s children. This is immoral and evil.

And the headline should give you a clue that they are sanctionning her not because she did anything wrong but simply to put pressure on Assad goverment.

Mar 23, 2012 10:59am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Austell wrote:

jaham;

Well you’re right about one thing, and one thing only… Bahrain is not important when it comes to ‘US interests’.

It doesn’t matter what kind of human rights abuses are going on there, or what state of utter dictatorship they are living under. It is as you say, about US interests.

And no they are not militants in Bahrain, because they are not armed, and they are not shooting weapons in violation of the law and murdering officials.

In Syria they have been doing this from the very start. This has always been known, and always been backed by evidence.

The rest of what you say is jibberish, nowhere did I say that there were zero peaceful protestors, only that they represent an EXTREME minority of western backed sectarian gripes, like your typical union protestors at home…

I am saying that on the whole, the opposition can easily be characterized by their most predominant elements, Islamic militants…

If this was an issue of the tiny protests that we have seen in Syria, they wouldn’t even have a problem. The actual protests have been so insignificantly small as to hardly raise an eyebrow…

But your opinion that the Syrian people should STOP prosecuting criminals, Islamic Militants and terrorists weilding AK47s screaming ALLLAHU AKBAR!!! is quite chilling, seeing as you appear to the same type of regime loyalist calling for war on terrorism for the last 10 years…

Your bizarre ultimatum for the Syrian people to hand over sovereignty to several packs of terrorist and Islamist gangs or face a western armament of those gangs is a reflection of just how little morality is involved in modern day imperialist mantra.

You have your targets, you have your missions, you have your propaganda, and you have your threats!

And if the world doesn’t buy it, they can join your victims…

Mar 23, 2012 11:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
MetalHead8 wrote:

“What was actually called for was an end to fighting by BOTH SIDES.

Reuters is not reporting this.” – Austell
They actually reported this yesterday, I dont think this guy is even reading the articles anymore.

Peace in syria

Mar 23, 2012 11:34am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Eric93 wrote:

Have the western nation leaders cut off Syria from the SWIFT banking network yet? That is the best way to get Syria’s ‘attention’ to the seriousness of the situation. And if they haven’t, then WHY NOT? Maybe they aren’t as serious as they claim?

Mar 23, 2012 12:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Slammy wrote:

Assad is Donkey! Go Free Army, FREEDOM BABY, FREEDOM!

Mar 23, 2012 12:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
2cartalkers wrote:

What did anyone expect, she is an ex-investment banker which means she is morally and ethically bankrupt. Ooh, the EU will prevent her from buying shoes…and she won’t have a lackey do it for her? LOL!

Mar 23, 2012 12:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Actionman990 wrote:

Sanctions on Assad’s wife are a new fascist low for the European Union.

Mar 23, 2012 12:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

@Austell…yes, what I am speaking about is in terms of US interests. Bahrain does not currently fall into that arena whereas Syria and Iran do. Please clarify your position because it seems that you wish the West would interfere with what is going on in Bahrain yet you chastise the US for its involvement elsewhere. “It doesn’t matter what kind of human rights abuses are going on there, or what state of utter dictatorship they are living under. It is as you say, about US interests.” Yes, it is about US interests, as aforementioned. You can’t have it both ways in that you want the US to effectively “mind its own business” and stay out of these affairs, yet when human rights atrocities are occurring you speak as if the US is obligated to act. We cannot police the entire world and therefore devote our resources to those areas with strategic interests to the US. I do not see a problem with that.

“nowhere did I say that there were zero peaceful protestors” – fair enough. This was the implication I have gathered not just from your post on this article but from many others.

On the contrary, nowhere did I say that “the Syrian people should STOP prosecuting criminals, Islamic Militants and terrorists”…what I said was that Assad should stop blindly shelling towns and killing thousands of civilians in an attempt to deter and mitigate this uprising…it is inefficient at best and a far cry from civil prosecution with due process.

And again you put words in my mouth: “Your bizarre ultimatum for the Syrian people to hand over sovereignty to several packs of terrorist and Islamist gangs”… completely untrue; I said nothing of the sort. What I said was that instead of continuing his blind shelling campaign, it would likely be in Assad’s best interest to honor the ceasefire and show the international community that there is in fact a militant uprising that is being mischaracterized as a an armed revolution. If I understand your position, I’d imagine you might agree. If Assad chooses instead to stay course I believe it will be his downfall because, again, he is killing thousands of innocent civilians.

Instead of bashing decisions made by America and the West, why don’t you channel your infinite wisdom and lay out clearly what you perceive as the appropriate course of action at this point. It is easy to point the finger of blame; it is much more difficult to stand in the shoes of the decision maker.

Mar 23, 2012 1:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
thebruce wrote:

jaham – first time? austell is completely obsessed with anything remotely anti-US. same with fromkin and free-speech. they may even be the same user.

good luck trying to get a sensible response from him, or even links to back up his incredulous statements.

Mar 23, 2012 3:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

@thebruce…lol, I recognise that but it is just my nature to debate him on his issues until he either justifies his positions or makes it overtly clear that he is simply an anti-US troll (one of many).

Mar 23, 2012 4:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Fromkin wrote:

The whole thing is a farce. They were saying civil war has started. where is it? They meant terroristes blowing bridges? Since the “Arab spring” is unable to topple the syrian gov, can it move to Bahrain, Qatar or Saudi Arabia now? I am told Saud Arabia has been ruled by one family for centuries. “Democracy” must be badly needed there.

Mar 23, 2012 4:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
iceman-2004 wrote:

We don’t need to get involved in another Islamic revolution. We really don’t need to help create another anti-western militant Islamic country. Let them blow each other to heck and back and keep us out of it.

Mar 23, 2012 5:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Actionman990 wrote:

I think the World should mind its own business concerning Syria.

Mar 23, 2012 7:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Austell wrote:

jaham;

How could I be any more clear… the US is supporting Islamic terrorists in Syria under the guise of democracy protestors, but it won’t support MUCH bigger democracy movement in Bahrain because it is allied with the dictator there.

Now how the hell do you get any clearer than that??? How in gods name you thought I had double standards myself on this and made up expectations for what I thought the US should be doing, I don’t think I will ever know…

I don’t want you to ‘police’ ANY of the world, no one does!!!

Stop telling me to stop ‘bashing America’ you corrupt little bozo, people come on here and they voice their opinions.

If you and your little band of fanatical patriots don’t like it, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

I’ve been here for 10 years and seen minority little groups like you guys come and go like the wind.

You ALWAYS think you represent the world… it’s just part of your mentality.

But the funny thing is that even on this right wing US patriotic website, you’re a minority!!!

To such an extent that when the Wall Street protests went global the anti-american sentiment was SO EXTREME that Reuters had to shut down commenting completely for 3 days to stop the truth being published.

You guys are regime loyalists, and you’ve got nothing better to do than annoy other bloggers who have a different opinion.

I mean what kind of person takes that sort of time out of their day to try over and over to tell others to shut up and not voice their opinions??? What kind of rat dictator creatures are you guys??

Metalhead8 I’m about to take a restraining order out on you buddy, you are obcessed with me, if you are so keen to ignore me as you say, GO AWAY FOR F SAKE!!!

Mar 23, 2012 8:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Austell wrote:

jaham;

Here is your bizarre ultimatum:

“I don’t expect Assad to and if this conflict continues to escalate there will undoubtedly be outside military force imposed that is FAR beyond what you claim is occuring now. So in my mind, it would be in Assad’s best interest to be the first one to put his guns down.”

(The ultimatum is bizarre in the fact that if Assad doesn’t put his guns down and let the terrorists take over, then you are saying ‘outside military force’ will be imposed to support the terrorists ‘far beyond’ what is happening already)

I’m not putting words in your mouth you’re just talking in circles… how in god’s name am I putting words in your mouth if I can quote your exact statement from the very same page moron…?

Mar 23, 2012 8:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
thebruce wrote:

Austell has his mole hill to climb on reuters comments…the world is praying this is the greatest achievement of your life austell – hopefully you fall short of anything that will affect society on a greater level.

Mar 24, 2012 2:16am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Austell wrote:

thebruce;

We are all here doing the same thing buddy, just sitting on different sides of the fence =)

You don’t like it when we point out your countries failings and crimes so instead of attacking the argument, you try to discredit the source…

An old one, cheap and dirty, but still a favorite I’m sure!

It’s a little harder when you don’t actually know anything about your target though…

Hey did you know that there are only two real western media networks?

Reuters and Associated Press, they’re what we call ‘wire news networks’. Kind of like your typical two party democracy.

What this means is that they are the actual source of 90% of the stories you hear in the mainstream press, who purchase their news from Reuters, add their flavour to it and on-sell it as if it came from them in the first place, re-packaged of course.

Of those two, Reuters is by far the most influential, and definitely the most capitalistic, that’s why they specialize in financial and market news.

If there is an issue with the way we are recieving our information, let’s say hypothetically by way of ‘billionaire owned monopoly’… then what better place for a concerned western citizen to blog than here?? Makes sense doesn’t it?

You know what’s really sad is that most people that blog here like myself actually have a simple purpose… I think you guys just come here to stroke your egos, defend the king, and provide a cascading echo chamber of approval for anything that carries your leaders royal seal.

Why is it that you guys care so little about depth and content, but so much about people like me??

If you’re really that worried about us having our way, it shows you havn’t accomplished anything in your own lives…

When’s the last time your comments scared anyone off or changed anyones mind? How does the saying go…

‘Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over without acheiving a different result’

Good luck with it chaps!

Mar 24, 2012 6:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
thebruce wrote:

austell – LOL i think i’ve found the root of your problem and basis for your obsession: this isn’t a “blog” site…

it’s a comment section. people, like me, come here to gage a general reaction to a story and submit their own. i don’t come to “stroke my ego”. i want to know, generally, how other people feel about a given event. i DON’T however want to read your conspiracy. you’re like the guy on a college campus who stands on a box in the promenade preaching to no one.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and over without acheiving a different result.” don’t you realize that really applies to you? you’re staking out on a reuters comment section every day…what else do you do?

but don’t worry yourself with “attacks” from me any more. i will try to just scroll past your “blogging” from now on.

Mar 24, 2012 1:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

@Austell…i’m glad you quoted my exact words because it makes it quite clear that you do not know what an ultimatum is.

I simply stated my opinion that if the violence continues there will likely be greater outside force imposed and thus it is in Assad’s best interest to put his weapons down first.

I stand by this assertion as I believe it to be accurate.

An ultimatum would come from the US government itself and would sound more like the ULTIMATUM we gave to Hussein.

What’s BIZARRE is that you apparently have no clue what you are talking about yet continue to troll Reuters articles related to Middle East affairs.

Mar 26, 2012 8:45am EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.