Obama administration blocks Texas voter ID law

todtown wrote:

I vote Democrat and I am generally an Obama supporter. However, I can not get on board with the president’s opinion on this one. This country requires very little of those who choose to live here. But there has to be some point where you expect people to step up to the plate. I don’t think it’s asking too much for people to demonstrate their eagerness to participate in the political process by acquiring a state ID card that is generally available to all US citizens already. I was born here and I’ve had to show my ID in every election where I have voted. So if 11% of Hispanic voters can’t be bothered to spend a day at the DPS to get their ID card than maybe they shouldn’t vote. I don’t think that is a racist or bigoted view point.

Mar 12, 2012 12:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
genius_77 wrote:

I’m not certain why this is an issue. I have to have a valid picture ID to board an airplane, cash a check, buy almost anything with a credit card, or buy beer. In this day and age, it is simply prudent to verify an individuals identity. If a voter does not have adequate ID, how did they register. I am not unsympathetic to the situation of hispanics, but this is a phony issue. If a citizen is a legal registered voter, there are options regarding acceptable ID, if there are other issues involved, then they need to be addressed, hispanic, immigrant, non-english speaking or not.

Mar 12, 2012 12:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
cogwheel wrote:

You can’t be an Obama supporter. You sound too logical.

Mar 12, 2012 12:51pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ccharles wrote:

With ACORN gone, Obama is gonna have to drum up votes from somewhere. Why not just have several vote several times under different names… no proof necessary. What ever happened to the Voter Fraud investigation on ACORN? I think they threw it out when it was clear you couldnt believe anything they said. I hope they pay closer attention to the voting process this time…

Mar 12, 2012 12:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sanehispanic wrote:

I am a Mexican American and I have 3 picture IDs. My parents have ID. This is just voter fraud plain and simple. Mexico and many other Latin American countries dont allow for anyone who is not a citizen to vote in their countries. If the groups or individuals do not have ID they can not vote, you do not have a drivers license you can not drive, you dont have a pilots license you can not fly…this is a big lie being thrown at Americans at our expense!

Mar 12, 2012 12:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TJFod wrote:

I’m an independent…and have been since Carter.

I want to ask regular Americans, people like me; aren’t you scared yet? I am petrified of what this administration is doing. Bush and his accomplises truly bothered me BUT I knew what they were trying to do and so while I opposed them, I was never afraid they were opposed to me, and my kind of Americans. We threw him out and he went away. But they were not opposed to me.

But this group is far different. They don’t use the law if they don’t want to. Instead they use administrative tools. They jam it through when they want to and perhaps even worse….They believe this little paper called the US Constitution, the document that keeps us from tearing each other apart…they believe it is a jumping off place, that should be situationally interpreted for each occaision. I’m flat out scared, and I’ve been in some tough scrapes..

Mar 12, 2012 12:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
NewsBum wrote:

This has nothing to do with the fairness of voting. This has to do with the fact that they know they can get more hispanic votes than republicans. It is not very expensive to get these documents and everyone else has to do this! I see some of the expensive things the latino community purchases on itself, expensive jewelery, spinners, hot rods, you name it. They can definitely afford this if they have a job which i guarantee a hispanic would have if he or she were legal.

Mar 12, 2012 1:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ELM76 wrote:

This country has voter turn out problem not voter impersonation problem , plus “the state did not submit any evidence of voter impersonation not already addressed under existing state laws” So if there already laws on the books to address this issue why wast time and tax payer money.

Mar 12, 2012 1:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JimsZ wrote:

One of the most important things citizens can do and he’s trying to make it so non-citizens can also do it?

It’s really not hard to get an ID card/DL license… Don’t these people have jobs? Don’t you have to have some kind of ID to get a JOB?

Oh, yes… I forgot welfare is free for everyone, citizen or not, and those without ID can get on it much easier!

Mar 12, 2012 1:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
VAOPINION wrote:

My mother is 90 years old and has no picture ID. I can probably take care of this with her; however, the number of elderly that do not have family near where they live will simply lose their voting rights. She has voted in the same place for years and I am sure she is known. This just seems like a hassle. This is an added burden to more people that one might think.

Mar 12, 2012 1:04pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Eie wrote:

If voter fraud was a serious issue there would have been many prosecutions during the 8 years that Bush Jr made it a priority for the Justice Department to investigate and prosecute voter fraud.

It is a non-existent problem, but the GOP seeks a solution anyway, and their solution is to keep eligible voters from voting by making the process harder to complete.

States Rights will surely come up, as it does whenever there is an issue of racism. State do not have the right to enact laws that disproportionately harm any group of eligible voters.

Mar 12, 2012 1:04pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
GaryMN wrote:

Exerting his Federal power over State’s and Voters rights again. He must have felt the need to protect the dead’s, the bus loads of OWS/union/ACORN gathered/paid illegal voters and Mexican citizens living in TX, right to vote for him.

Mar 12, 2012 1:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
1buckeye1 wrote:

Does this surprise anyone??? It is ridiculous what the powers in Washington will do to keep their phoney boloney jobs. I am afraid for my children as the future looks bleak for them.

Mar 12, 2012 1:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
stuckpig wrote:

@todtown

Well stated. Your words represent my stance and feelings as well.

Mar 12, 2012 1:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
hehheh wrote:

How else could the democrats win an election? Provide illegals the chance to vote with out proof of citizenship. Now that is what I call an election strategy. Consider that there are more than 20,000,000 million of them out there. The democrats are guaranteed a win. Way to go Obama!!! 4 more years, 4 more years, 4 more years!!!!

Mar 12, 2012 1:09pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ZombieSpy wrote:

The investigation against acorn was dropped when it was found that scum like breitbart edited the video tapes he and his protege filmed at an Acorn office. And while I agree somewhat with todtown’s comment I also think that what the administration is against is not showing 1 ID but showing two or 3 id’s to prove who you are. And also keep in mind Tod there are very rural areas in this country still with no access to a dmv or a federal office close by.

Mar 12, 2012 1:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
tpm44 wrote:

well i guess we know where obama will stuff the ballot boxes with dead people and mickey mouse he is such a traitor and a detriment to our great country

Mar 12, 2012 1:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TowBitOpinion wrote:

I live in Wisconsin, a very rural area of the state. There are many elderly here who never had to get a drivers liscense, or any of the varied other forms of ID now required by our new laws. They see their voting right as their only voice to speak to the condition of their lives. There are others I know of who never got a DL as they could never afford a vehicle. Not all peoples in this country have been able to afford to travel outside the USA, not even to neighboring counties. Yes, this country has citizens who actually live in this condition. They consider themselves fortunate to put a supper on the table. But they are still citizens of our great country, and should not be put outside the right to vote. The new voter laws the republicans are trying to put into place will actually restrict our citizens of their right to vote. Why should being poor make one less of a citizen? Isn’t it better to allow the poor the participate in our country? Every country has a population living in povertey, and we are nor different. Those who already have a “voter” ID in place think that acquiring that form of ID is so easy and simple should walk in the shoes (if they are lucky) of someone who does not have the same disposable income. When your first and foremost goal is to try and feed your family, you will not abandon it to spend the day attempting to get the “proper” ID. Plus, voter fraud is not really an issue in this country. It has been made an issue, by the very rich, to put themselves in control at the cost of the very poor. They are attpempting to fix something that wasn’t broken in the first place, and the “fix” is geared to their own benifit.

Mar 12, 2012 1:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
coffeerings wrote:

The ruling abides by existing federal and most state election codes. Having worked in elections for a number of years, I can tell you that very few counties require voters to show ID. In California, voters are required to show ID only the first time they vote. I can also tell you that that by not requiring voters to show ID, fraud at the polls can be extremely simple. All vote by mail ballots signatures are verified with the original signature from the voter application on file. However, voter signature sheets from the polls are not. As a registered voter and as a former elections official, I would very much support the requirement of identification at the polls. Voting is a right but it is also a responsibility.

Mar 12, 2012 1:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bglick4 wrote:

This is way outside of his powers as POTUS. I wonder if Texas will follow his mandate. It is incredibly easy for citizens, even for native spanish speakers, to get a state ID or driver’s licence. If they can’t they are either not citizens or they are too damn stupid to be voting in the first place. I’d wager most of them fall in the former camp.

Mar 12, 2012 1:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
xerxes5532 wrote:

Is Obama’s decision to block implying or confirming his faithful voters may be illegal aliens? It only takes 1-day in line at the DMV to get a state-issued I.D. card. Not even a drivers license! When I did the paperwork & proof of junk mail to get one for my mom, she was very proud to hold a State Identification Card. Most of us don’t think about it for one moment. 3 years later, she raised her right hand as a U.S. citizen. LEGAL immigrants know what’s going on, but they are TOLD by their community to think a certain way until Nov. These strange political blocking maneuvers, win or lose, are all for publicity and propaganda. It doesn’t help voters, but it makes voters think they are being helped!

Mar 12, 2012 1:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
toby3061 wrote:

Do all the damage you can do Barack. You are one and done after the election in November

Mar 12, 2012 1:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
fanofusa wrote:

toby, you really think that robot Romney or divine intervention Santorum will beat Obama come november? that has to be highly unlikely to happen. how come nobody mentions this is done as a stunt so mostly latino comunitiy can not vote for democrats as they usually do? Same thing in florida where Jeb threw that teacher in jail cause she was encouraging students to go and vote, and they usually vote democrats. Its like if you dont vote for us, its better you dont wote at all. Gotta love the republicans!

Mar 12, 2012 2:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sensibility wrote:

So, the Administration will not allow a voter ID law because people who are allowed to vote might not have ID’s.

Wouldn’t a better solution be to issue ID’s to these voters? Then they can vote and we can make sure everyone votes only once.

That may be too logical for the President. Either that or he figures he has to cheat to win.

Mar 12, 2012 2:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Rainsong wrote:

How difficult is it for people to actually read the article.

As stated in the article, many counties in Texas do not have offices where one can easily obtain a photo ID. For them it can mean a trip of 100 miles to such a location–and a 100 mile trip to get back home. If one doesn’t have a license and neither do friends and relatives, how then is one to get to their destination? Bus? An unnecessary expense on top of the additional expense of paperwork.

All one should have to do is show their voter registration card–something I have never been asked to show in my 40+ years of voting.

I’m voting No One But Obama.

Mar 12, 2012 2:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
OneOfTheSheep wrote:

One more act confirming that Obama is more interested in pandering to a demographic that represents an assault on the American way of life. If Democrats can’t get enough votes from the living and the legal, they will get them anywhere and everywhere possible.

The zebra cannot shed or hide it’s stripes!

Mar 12, 2012 2:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

What you all do not understand is that voter ID requirement’s like these are basically equal to things like a poll tax. The right to vote should be held sacred and not be restricted by ANYTHING. Some people literally can not afford to pay for or maybe even get to a DMV(or whatever your state calls it) to get a state-ID, and these people should not be dis-enfranchised just because they can not afford it or afford to get to a DMV.

In actuality these voter ID law’s enacted by the the GOP recently ARE NOT attempts to suppress voter fraud. In fact if you do your own research you will realize the documented cases of voter fraud are VERY few and far between and have not changed the results of ANY election, beyond the very rare local election where vote counts are in the 10′s or 100′s. In fact the GOP is enacting these laws just to try and push future elections in their favor, despicable and sickening IMO.

Mar 12, 2012 2:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ravens17350 wrote:

the only reason he is doing this is so he can get re-elected in my opinion every one who votes should produce a valid drivers license or valid photo id….obama is such a dumb ass

Mar 12, 2012 2:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
costag1 wrote:

Help me understand those that are complaining, that their are those that cannot get to a place to get a voters ID but are able to get to a voting location. What is wrong with that picture???

Mar 12, 2012 2:26pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TJFod wrote:

USAPragmatist writes that this is a poll tax?

You need to spend more of your daddy’s money on another advanced degree. People can’t even buy liquor without a photo id and are you going to tell me the people the current occupant is protecting are in AA? Poll tax? Moron

Mar 12, 2012 2:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
RexMax46 wrote:

Those complaining that this is an overreach of federal power need to be reminded that states such as Texas have PROVEN themselves incapable of fairly administering voting laws in the 1960′s. Furthermore, statements like how “easy it is” to get and ID and that those who can’t “don’t deserve to vote anyways” sounds eerily similar to other anti-suffrage efforts to define some other group as being unfit to vote.

Mar 12, 2012 2:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
J1216 wrote:

Todtown said it very well. I am also for fingerprinting. I have witnessed a few people, in an old job, hold 3 social security cards, collect 3 welfare checks etc. I quit when I told my boss and he just brushed it off. They are also no longer in business. But, if a small company had more than one person do this, imagine the larger corporations !! I see nothing wrong with fingerprinting LEGAL Americans. One easy step, when you take a photo for DL or ID, add the fingerprint. I am sure Legal Americans won’t mind it at all!!

Mar 12, 2012 2:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

I can’t understand why supporters of his are still on board. The only thing I can think of is stupidity or the fact he has them on his payroll. I grew up in a country where you needed an ID to go to the bank, get in a bar, vote and so on.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE…you do not have an ID you cannot VOTE.

Mar 12, 2012 2:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gregbrew56 wrote:

The basic problem is that there is a COST to getting an I.D. Whether it’s a direct cost of so many $, payable at the time of procurement, or a cost associated with getting to a location to get a *free* one (yeah, right), it’s a cost. These costs are known as a “Poll Tax”.

Poll taxes were found to be illegal, and addressed by the 24th amendment of the U.S. Constitution nearly 50 years ago. Obama is upholding the Constitution.

Methinks many of you trolls have forgotten the existence of this document, and what it means.

Mar 12, 2012 2:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sanehispanic wrote:

This has nothing to do with the Poll Tax, unfortunately laws dont always keep up with the times and even worse is that the constitution is only followed or ignored when it suits our political leaders. ID is a basically a legal requirement for adults in most states if not all states, period. What is very illegal is allowing illegals to vote! Mexico for the third year in a row has the riches guy in the planet, maybe La Raza should be doing their crap in Mexico!

Mar 12, 2012 3:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Ashau wrote:

Perhaps there’s a reason those Hispanic “voters” don’t have these picture IDs…….they can’t get them because they’re in the country illegally.

Obamination and his bobble-head Attorney General aren’t fooling anyone with their attempt to allow illegals the opportunity to sneak in and vote. Most of them benefit greatly from Obama’s entitlement programs and would vote for the Democrites, or anyone who would keep the handouts coming. Obamination knows that without the illegal vote, he doesn’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell come November.

Mar 12, 2012 3:20pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Ashau wrote:

Dear greg’56: How much does it cost to get an ID? It costs less than it does to get a driver’s license. It is necessary to show an ID when cashing a check, opening a bank account, registering your children for school, etc, etc. The only reason to oppose the showing of an ID would be because the individual is an illegal resident who should not be trying to vote in the first place.

Mar 12, 2012 3:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Jenny_Lee wrote:

My question is, how easy is it for anyone, whether US Citizen or not, manage to receive a voters card? It cannot be too difficult, they are constantly finding more and more dead people voting each year. Is it his way of being equal or his way of increasing the democratic vote? I do not say that to be mean, but statistically most illegals, minorities, young voters, California voters, Welfare recipients, etc. tend to vote Democrat.

Mar 12, 2012 3:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
911014ever wrote:

this is insane!!!!!!! get the I.D. we as U.S. “LEGAL” citizens have it. why the heck shouldn’t everyone. for the first time i ask myself, President, what the hell are you thinking?!

Mar 12, 2012 3:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
greg1950 wrote:

I have voted in every election since I reached the age and do not recall ever needing a photo identification in New Jersey and now Pennsylvania. This is another racist move by the Republican Party simply because their position is that only white christians should be allowed to vote. Any see ‘Game Change’? With Wall Street in control of the Supreme Court, we are in big trouble if this crap contiunes. Try reading our Constitution before you show your racist stupidity!

Mar 12, 2012 3:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
moonhill wrote:

The cost of an ID card in Texas is $6.00. That could hardly be construed as a “poll tax”. Obama has overstepped states rights once again for the purpose of obtaining illegal votes.

Mar 12, 2012 4:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
MikeinSA wrote:

Soooo…let me get this straight. You have to show ID to get food stamps, government assistance, to drive a car, to cash a check, to get a credit card, to enter a federal building, to pretty much do dang near anything anymore…except to vote. This administration is so full of BS anymore…

Mar 12, 2012 4:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
greg1950 wrote:

One thing for sure after reading these comments…..Reuters is truly unbiased! So when you morons don’t like what you read on here, DO NOT CRITICIZE Reuters! Freedom of speach for all Americans…even white, self employed progressives, like myself can speak their peace!

Mar 12, 2012 4:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bartlebee wrote:

How the heck can a person get through life without a photo ID? A person needs a photo ID to get a job, drive a car, rent an apartment, buy a house, open a bank account, apply for food stamps, welfare, Section-8 housing, enroll in college, get a library card, etc.

Mar 12, 2012 4:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TexasRocks wrote:

“I’ve yet to see a single GOP proposal that would have the effect of limiting the white evangelical vote. I wonder why that is?”

Maybe because we have driver’s license or ID???

Seriously, how do these people cash their government welfare checks w/o an ID?

Mar 12, 2012 4:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CACmm wrote:

Greg1950 this has to do with following the law. i don’t think ASHAU was trying to be racist. why don’t they have ID? it’s not hard, and it’s necessary for everyday life. he was suggesting that no one be except from following the law.

Mar 12, 2012 4:30pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jcwren329 wrote:

“The DOJ has no valid reason for rejecting this important law, which requires nothing more extensive than the type of photo identification necessary to receive a library card or board an airplane,” he said in a statement.”

Yes, but all those things you wingnuts list AREN’T PROTECTED RIGHTS…..

Mar 12, 2012 4:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
cogwheel wrote:

I’m 70 years old, and have had to show a photo ID at some places to buy liquor. Why is it not acceptable for the same criteria to vote? I think keeping voting honest is more important than serving liquor to someone who does not qualify.

Mar 12, 2012 4:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Scarfoot wrote:

I’ve been voting for a great many years. I had to show ID in Kentucky, I had to show ID in Florida, and I have to show ID in North Carolina. I guess since I’ve had to do this at all elections I’ve voted in, that must be why I don’t see a problem with it.

Mar 12, 2012 4:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

The ability to identify a voter as being legit is the foundation to assuring our democracy. No wonder Obama and his left wing supporters oppose common sense voter ID laws. There is no doubt that mass fraud will benefit the party providing the most “free” gifts.

Mar 12, 2012 4:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
schmak01 wrote:

THe excuses behind rejecting/blocking this from the white house are irrelevant. This is overstepping of authority and squashing states rights.

Is this a poll tax? No, you can get a Texas ID card for free.

What about those that live 100 miles away from the TXDOT office? How do they get to their polling location? Walk? Its got to be close to the same distance. My guess is they, like every other Texan, drive.

If you can get to the polling venue, you can get to your local TXDOT office. These are just excuses to try to wave over the fact this administration wipes its ass with our constitution and expects us to THANK them for it.

Mar 12, 2012 4:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
rfmartinez wrote:

this law was never about authentication. if the law was implemented just to hinder 1 group then it is unnecessary. if the law cannot be proven to resolve a problem (which does not exist in the first place), then it is unnecessary.

before, students were able to use college ids, now they cannot. before, a veteran used to be able to use a military id, now it has to be of a universal format. by state law, elderly can use their id which has “does not expire” on it. with this proposed “law” the id must have an expiration.

this proposal was solely meant to disenfranchise particular voters. not to mention that when the republican led congress tried to pass this law, they also simultaneously increased identification fees to go from $20 to $40. these price hikes were to “increase customer service” but were later slashed from the budget and reassigned the revenue to elsewhere.

Mar 12, 2012 4:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Taxi wrote:

greg1950: Reuter is truly unbiased? Ha Ha Ha!!!

Mar 12, 2012 4:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
iTexan wrote:

I think a picture ID is a reasonable requirement to vote. I mean, they have to know who you are so you’re eligible to vote after all. I think the issue here is the unbelievable difficulty in getting this ID in some parts of Texas. Being a mostly Republican state, our social services are pretty pathetic here. This doesn’t just apply to welfare–this applies to all social services, including getting an ID or driver’s license. This means it can take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours or more in line at the DMV/DPS office, assuming there even is one of these offices within 100 miles of your home. Basically, this means if you don’t have a car and a really flexible job and don’t need every hour of pay you can get, you are probably not going to be able to vote either. This is disproportionately disenfranchising to the poor, which is why the Obama administration has a problem with it. If the state of Texas wants to provide all of its eligible voters with free or low-cost identification papers, then this legal requirement would be reasonable and I could support it.

Mar 12, 2012 4:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
tmillwee wrote:

Voting is a right not a privilege. This attempt to suppress voting is a solution looking for a problem.

Mar 12, 2012 4:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jgjaime wrote:

I am Hispanic, and from California. I have always shown my ID when I vote. I would consider myself an Independent that leans more to the left on certain issues. This being said, I do not agree with the Obama Administration regarding this block. If someone can register to Vote, I am sure they can figure out how to obtain Identification. If the law is as simple as it sounds, then I agree with it. The voting process needs to be fair and available to everyone, and at the same time it needs to avoid having fraud taking place.

Mar 12, 2012 5:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
fatdaddio wrote:

If you want to live in the USA you should live by all laws. I am sick of everybody crying discrimination at the drop of a hat. I f you want to be an American be an American, if you want to be any other stay away. Everybody in Texas would have to do this not just the hispanics. If a person cannot prove who he is or where he is from, he has no right to vote in this country. I can and do.

Mar 12, 2012 5:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

Obama is a product of the corrupt political system that fostered his rise…the Chicago machine. He learned his lessons well. Promise what someone else must pay for (and can not afford). Create new legions of loyal voters by legalizing the masses that are here. And by all means, liberally accuse all of racism who question even the most basic need for identification. Yes folks…mass fraud, that’s what it’s all about.

Mar 12, 2012 5:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
skifisss wrote:

The Obama administration’s opposition to this law (which is based on an Indiana law that the SC has already upheld as constitutional) is tacit acceptance/support for the various shady ACORN-esque groups that actively engage in voter fraud. Advocating no-ID voting is TOTALLY INEXCUSABLE – end of story.

It’s just stunning to me that you have to show ID for almost anything official, no matter how trivial, yet you can walk into a polling station and cast a vote in a national election by just saying your (hopefully) name.

Its nonsense like that that, for example, allows unethical hyper-partisan organizations to get lists of nursing home patients and cast their votes as they see fit.

Mar 12, 2012 5:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JL4 wrote:

I’ve never had to show an ID to vote. I believe that re-districting in addition to new voter ID laws smacks of the Republicans’ attempt to manipulate votes in their favor. Otherwise, why do it now?

Why work up into a lather over it now? Because illegal immigration combined with a half-black President is more than some people can stand. The hidden prejudice and racist minority comes out full force.

The illogical hatred for Latinos speaks volumes. Reminds me of the illogical hatred for African-Americans not too long ago. Reminds me of arguments I’ve read in history books about the “stupidity and uselessness” of allowing women (“who aren’t smart enough”) to vote.

Your venomous statements about Latinos just underscores your prejudice about a half white/half black President. Because you know, “If you’re not white, you’re black”.

Scream all you want. Won’t make any difference. Too many people are too open minded and logical for the racist, religious bigots to be in control anymore.

Republicans no longer make any sense, and their motives are completely transparent. Deny it all you want – it won’t work to veil your prejudices. Good or bad, Obama will win a second term.

Mar 12, 2012 5:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
RynoM wrote:

As a 56 year old white male who has lived in a number of different states, I have never had to produce a photo ID to vote. Public record shows that while registration fraud is sometimes high (because people get paid per signature) voter fraud itself is practically nonexistent, as found by years of aggressive investigation into same that turned up next to nothing. You can bet that if voter fraud was as common as people think, we would see the places and names and numbers.

Many elderly people and working poor are unlikely to have drivers licenses or passports or library cards; that kind of thing goes with the teritory. People who lack money also lack options including time and mobility. Anybody who cannot believe that people live like that should 1) visit a nursing home and 2) count their blessings.

That said, if one can really get a Texas ID for free, it seems reasonable to issue it and then require it to be presented.

Mar 12, 2012 5:26pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
as40NFCU wrote:

There isn’t any voter fraud. We don’t need laws for problems that don’t exist.

Politicians with ulterior motives often plays of fears of the uninformed.

Mar 12, 2012 5:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@Skifisss@ to quote you ‘allows unethical hyper-partisan organizations to get lists of nursing home patients and cast their votes as they see fit.’ Please provide verifiable proof that this has happened, or else it is just another conspiracy theory inside someone’s (your’s) head.

Mar 12, 2012 5:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

11% don’t have them because they are illegal and should not be voting. THe Obama Administration is supporting voter fraud.

Mar 12, 2012 5:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
_forj_ wrote:

I have always had to present a photo ID to vote.. why wouldnt you require one? if you are an american citizen of voting age and qualify to vote then there is absolutely no reason you cant go get a copy of your birth certificate or a legal photo ID. I am shocked to find out that there are states where you arent required to present an ID to vote. the majority of states require some form of ID to vote. http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/voter-id-state-requirements.aspx

Mar 12, 2012 5:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
myreutersid wrote:

If I can cast mail in ballot with photo identification, then why do I have to present ID to do it at my neighborhood polling place? It doesn’t make sense.

So, lets require id. What happens then? All mail in ballots would be rendered null and void because the voter did not present a valid id at the time the ballot was cast? Ok, there goes the military vote.

And, what about the move to internet voting? How are we going to get id’s on those voters? We’re not, so forget that, it’s never going happen.

This entire “issue” of voter fraud is baloney.

Mar 12, 2012 5:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
NobleKin wrote:

More Republicon tactics to trample on voting rights and disenfranchise more Americans.

Those crying ‘state’s rights’ have no F*&%ing clue as to the 24th Amendment and the implications for all Americans.

And when you consider that voter fraud is extremely low on the list of concerns at any level of government, one must conclude the Republicans have but one intent: to deter or disenfranchise voters.

No surprise this is coming from yet another southern state…

Mar 12, 2012 6:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

I have to show my license. I expect everyone else to do so too. This is just a way for Obama to insure votes including illegal ones. If he wins again we need to have every single vote verified that the voter was a legal citizen and legally registered to vote. If I have to meet the criteria so does everyone else.

Mar 12, 2012 6:07pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Everyone, starting at school age, should be required to have a photo ID.

Mar 12, 2012 6:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mott wrote:

Who is this DOJ and the current administration working for – legal citizens/immigrants or illegals?

It’s their duty to protect the legals and hold illegals accountable to justice of the law.

In this age of inter-connectedness, this dis-service to the legal public will be seen as imcompetence of DOJ and the current administration. Shame on both.

Mar 12, 2012 6:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mott wrote:

Mar 12, 2012 6:17pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
NobleKin wrote:

@advocatusdiabol

There isn’t a shred of evidence to support widespread illegal alien voter fraud. None.

This is a measure to limit the number of people from a voting block that are more likely to vote for liberal candidates or propositions.

That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mar 12, 2012 6:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Speaker2 wrote:

Frankly, no one one should have to provide ID, to vote, to get on an airplane. If you are doing nothing wrong, you should not have to prove who you are.

Mar 12, 2012 6:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
explorer08 wrote:

In looking at many different articles on this news item it seems the real issue the Feds have with the Texas law is that Texas failed to provide information on how to obtain the various kinds of acceptable IDs needed for voting. My guess is that Texas wishes to disenfranchise the Hispanic voting group by withholding information. Now THAT would be typical of the Texan mind. Better we had let Texas go decades ago.

Mar 12, 2012 6:38pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JH818 wrote:

Yep, we should stop that voter registration fraud which accounts for about 0.0002% of votes…

for those with inadequate math skills, which is suspect is much of this thread, that is 2 in every 1,000,000 votes…

Mar 12, 2012 6:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CF137 wrote:

This is just Obama pandering to his illegal base.
It’s nothing new.

Mar 12, 2012 7:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Anybody86 wrote:

It is time for the government and justice department to quit telling Texas and several other states what to do! This is so dated, 1965! there are plenty of Voter I D laws in other states that the justice department cannot stop and they are working out just fine. As long as they are fair, there is nothing wrong with showing ID. And it also protects the voters. You have to show an ID to do just about anything, and voting should certainly be no different.

Mar 12, 2012 7:19pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Anybody86 wrote:

Obama/Justice department voted down Texas, but Texas and majority of the United States will vote out Obama and his Administration. this is just one more reason why! November cannot come soon enough!

Mar 12, 2012 7:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Anybody86 wrote:

Mar 12, 2012 7:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Anybody86 wrote:

Mar 12, 2012 7:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Anybody86 wrote:

Mar 12, 2012 7:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
KyuuAL wrote:

Just associate the words “Voter Suppression” with “Republican”.

Mar 12, 2012 7:48pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JulsMan wrote:

@NewsBum – “This has nothing to do with the fairness of voting. This has to do with the fact that they know they can get more hispanic votes than republicans.”

Exactly. Do you think the Republican party doesn’t know this too? But their motivation is unquestionably pure altruistic? Do you think if Latino voters voted Republican they would have bothered? It just so happens coincidentally that the law will primarily effect people who don’t vote Republican and now they really won’t.

I know that most of you GOP voters have a sense of history that starts at the revolutionary war, ends at the civil war, then begins again in 2008 when Obama was elected … but let me educate you on something missing from your collective psyche … between the time of the civil war all the way to the 1960′s states like Texas used all sorts of tricks to keep segments of their population from voting. Don’t you find it at least interesting that Texas belongs to a group of states that needs to seek special Federal permission before changing voting laws? Not every state has to so this? Why? Because they are Republicans? Nope! Though its tempting to blame nasty liberal’s for this one. No you get to own this one all on your own. You’re on that list because you have a proven track-record of screwing segments of your own state citizens whose political views you disagreed with.

At the end of the day, I am not against getting someone to provide some article of identification just so they get the right ballot. But I am strongly against turning them away at the polls because they don’t have it. Minimally, you have to accept that ballot and maybe mark it, then later the electoral commission can review those marked ballots and determine if there is even a voter fraud problem. But there has historically been way too much turning people away at the polls in these states to think that something like this wouldn’t be exploited.

Mar 12, 2012 7:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
diluded0000 wrote:

What a bunch of well fed crybabies. You really can’t conceive of going through life without a driver’s license, can you? I mean, it is how we get on airplanes and buy liquor, right? You realize there are people who don’t have six dollars for a drivers license, a ride to the DMV, somebody to watch their kids, or a copy of their birth certificate when they get there? What if they can’t read? So now they can’t vote because they are poor and/or illiterate? That isn’t how it works in my country. Y’all usually whine to no end about excess government regulation. How is this different other than it only affects the people you think are somehow less deserving than you?

Mar 12, 2012 7:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sinbad1 wrote:

What a backward country, allowing politicians to decide who votes and who doesn’t, what a joke.

Mar 12, 2012 8:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mutt3003 wrote:

Just another way of letting this clown get re-elected. The only people that are stupid enough to vote for him are illegals and people who are hiding from the law. There’s a reason those people don’t have some kind of ID……….

Mar 12, 2012 8:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JCnTN wrote:

Heaven forbid we require someone to be a citizen to vote.
That would be too nationalistic and would deprive Mr. Obama (whose nationality has always been suspect) of a MUCH needed boost at the polls given the disillusionment many black americans are probably experiencing. I’ve had enough of his apologizing to the world for Americans being Americans.

Mar 12, 2012 8:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
KyuuAL wrote:

Are there any Obama haters here still demanding for his birth certificate? Show of hands please.

Mar 12, 2012 9:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gregbrew56 wrote:

Voter ID laws: A solution in search of a problem…that doesn’t exist.

Mar 12, 2012 9:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sensibility wrote:

There’s a very simple solution that should make everyone happy: give everyone who is allowed to vote and does not have other suitable identification a “Voting ID”, for free, issued by the government. How does that not solve the problem.

Ah… because then the Democrats couldn’t steal votes. Right.

Mar 12, 2012 9:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Truth_Teller wrote:

We Texans don’t need a monstrous Federal government forcing us to illegals vote as many times as they want since there is no way to stop them if voters aren’t required to show a photo ID. This is an outrage. The people are only going to take this egregious hegemony so long. Washington and Mr. Obama should wake up. Most Texans already hate the Federal government.

Mar 12, 2012 10:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Wassup wrote:

A flagrant violation of states rights. Obama wants to dictate who can and who cannot vote in elections. Next he’ll dictate what you can say, whether you can carry or own a gun and will have his storm troopers at your house to haul you off for diagreeing with him or his policies. Is that what you want America? Texas has the right to require some form of identification to determine whether a person wanting to vote has that right which is reserved for citizens. Another example of the current Marxist/socialist government at work infringing upon the rights of citizens.

Mar 12, 2012 10:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Anthonykovic wrote:

This whole “controversy” is ridiculous. Secure photo-ID is the anti-fraud standard throughout the world for almost everthing, from a driver’s license to passports to voting.

Even more bizarre given how few actually bother to vote.
Last US election (2008) barely 57% of registered voters got out; the others stayed home not because they lacked photo-ID but because they were just too lazy.

Mar 12, 2012 10:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sonnyjc9 wrote:

Lived in Texas 30 years and the only people without some form of photo ID were the illegal aliens hiding there. Needing a photo ID to vote would stop all the illegals from casting ballots and THAT would stop the Democrats from getting what they want and put a crimp in their liberal ways.

Mar 13, 2012 2:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse

if you can not handle to get an ID you are not deserved to vote… this is this simple… when it comes to food stamps and free money they figure it out pretty fast… democrats love scams and 5% of democrats vote should be illegal…

Mar 13, 2012 10:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

Obama promotes mass fraud designed to hi-jack our electorial process and cement a single party, anything goes, welfare state. Obama and his legion of mindless followers represent our nations greatest threat to the rule of law and our democracy. Obama is a criminal.

Mar 13, 2012 10:19am EDT  --  Report as abuse

Having never been eligible to vote before, I’m absolutely APPALLED to learn that we DON’T require a photo ID. How do you let someone vote without proving who they are? Seems like a pretty simple concept to me. Furthermore, how do you not have a photo ID? Do you know what year it is?

Mar 13, 2012 11:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
zotdoc wrote:

The nerve of those Texans. They want a photo ID of their voters. If they have their way, the democrats won’t be able to have all those dead people, busloads of people from Chicago, mickey mouse and donald duck and illegal aliens excercise their “right” to fraudulently vote for Mr. Obama.

Mar 13, 2012 2:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@Actnow and some of the rest either saying or implying that voter fraud is rampant, so I guess .0002% fraud rates, or 2 out of a million, is ‘rampant’ voter fraud? As others have said the whole push by the GOP for voter ID laws is a solution looking for a problem. Unless of course that problem is minorities and students, who these laws target, vote democrat more often then not.

If you cant see that this is a blatant attempt by the GOP to push future elections in their favor, then you are too blinded by ideology to see the truth in things.

Mar 13, 2012 2:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
moonhill wrote:

The irony in this is that Mexico require a photo ID to vote. I guess hispanics in Mexico are capable of obtaining one, but hispanics in Texas are not.

Mar 13, 2012 2:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Pguy wrote:

In Illinois, Not only do you not have to have any form of ID, they do not even want to see your voter registration card. If you can name a name that is in the “book”, and you can write that name, you can vote. Of course in Illinois, in Cook county, sometimes there are more votes cast that people registered to vote. My Mother in Laws’ Father, 50 years ago, on election day, had a good job that paid well. He used to haul the same 4 drunks to four different polling places and give them a card with a name on it. They would use that name and could vote, Of course they voted straight Democrat.

If we want to fix it, put a photo on the voter registration card and require that it be seen. By the way, someone from Wisconsin said “we have a lot of old people who do not drive and never had a drivers license, and they are too poor to get an ID”. Come on, Do you know why they bury people on top of the ground in New Orleans? Its easier to get them up so they can vote.

None of this is new but in some areas it is not 2 out of a million but 2 out of 10. In Illinois, the vote counters keep “finding ballots” that “were not counted before” until the local Democrat wins. That is how we have Governor Quin today.

Mar 13, 2012 3:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
colonizedmind wrote:

Get over it. The President did what he is expected to do and that is to stop voter suppression. If you don’t see that, well, tough luck.

Mar 13, 2012 4:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse