Scientist who coined "Pink Slime" reluctant whistleblower

Orphicdragon wrote:

I have a lot of respect for this guy. Shame the industry hasn’t been snapping their neck to pick him up. He didn’t go out of his way to cause hysteria, he hasn’t claimed it’s going to cause cancer and make little children grow horns and crap.

Just calm statement of the facts. This isn’t what it SHOULD be, they aren’t following the dang law and how hard is it to tell people what it is so that can make an INFORMED choice about eating it?

I think it’s a damn shame a sane guy with the intelligence and work ethic needed for something as important as food that goes in people isn’t widely sought after.

Makes sense he wouldn’t want to work for the government anymore, far too much pride and ethic.

Zirnstein: You’re never going to read this, I’m just a little nobody in the masses anyway, but thank you. Thank you for doing your job, and doing it well. Jeebus knows it would have been easier for you to just do the half rear ended crap they want you to. I know it seems small, and maybe it is small…but it matters. This little thing gave us all the ability to make an informed choice. Which is really all most of us want anyway. Tell us what the REAL deal is, then let us decide for ourselves what to do with that.

So thank you. I hope some company see’s you for the valuable guy you most certainly are and puts you to work doing what you do at a better than average pay :)

Mar 26, 2012 3:46am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Orphicdragon wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 3:46am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Orphicdragon wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 3:46am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Orphicdragon wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 3:46am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Orphicdragon wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 3:46am EDT  --  Report as abuse
cgsnyder wrote:

Using sludge as fertilizer presents the same problem. No label telling farmers what is really in this waste. Instead farmers are told that sludge is organic nutrient rich fertilizer that improves soil health. Instead, sludge is the most pollutant-rich contaminated waste produced by modern society; it degrades good land after repeated applications, has impacted groundwater, sickened live stock and people. Every month every entity using sewage treatment plants is permitted to discharge 33 pounds of hazardous waste into sewers, including leachates from superfund sites and contaminated water from fracking operations. If farmers knew what sludge really contains, they would stop using it. For more information visit www.sludgefacts.org

Mar 26, 2012 2:51pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
randydutton wrote:

Pink Slime is the title of my short story. It is about an investigative reporter disgusted with the thought of pink slime in his food deciding to research the truth…and it isn’t what he thought it would be.. www.pinkslime.us. Lean finely textured beef is as much about ecopolitics and government paternalism as it is about food.

Mar 26, 2012 3:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
randydutton wrote:

Mar 26, 2012 3:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ConstFundie wrote:

This is more evidence that industry absolutely cannot regulate itself. They will cut every corner, every ethic, and accept every public health risk necessary to accumulate one more fraction of one penny.

Industry lobbies to keep consumers blind to what they are putting in our foods. And, what they are putting in our food is whatever (whether chemical or waste product) that is most cheaply formable into a product salable as food.

Mar 26, 2012 7:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
FoodSafetyGuy wrote:

ConstFundie, you have no idea what you’re talking about. You are just reacting to emotional garbage. I have been in the food and beverage industry for 27 years, and I specialize in food safety. The U.S. has the safest food supply in the world, and much of that is because industry holds itself to high standards. It has to because of the competitive nature of the food business. There is absolutely nothing unsafe or gross about the beef trimmings product. I can’t stand people like you who judge others based on inuendo and speculation.

Mar 27, 2012 10:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
EllieK wrote:

There seem to be two issues here. First is the fact that scraps that aren’t actually ground beef are added to ground beef. I guess that is what they have always referred to as filler. Ligaments and other crud doesn’t sound great to me.

Second issue is less problematic, the treatment with ammonia. There are two producers of lean ground beef trimmings (or the pink s.). One is BPI, which does use ammonia. I don’t know how bad that is or not. After all, if you look on the ingredients for all SORTS of foods and products, they include sodium hydroxide, otherwise known as lye! But the amount is very small. Still, I’d rather not eat ammonia treated food if there were an alternative!

In fact, there is an alternative. The second largest producer of the pink s. is Cargill. Cargill doesn’t use ammonia. They treat the filler with highly concentrated citric acid. I’d much prefer to have that! But to be honest, I’d prefer most of all to have no pink s. added to my ground beef. I’d rather pay more, or eat less of it. Alternatively, a compromise might be nice. Right now the FDA allows up to 15% of ground beef to actually consist of pink s. filler. What about reducing that, cutting it in 1/2 or by 2/3, to only 5 to 7%, AND clearly label products that have it versus those that don’t? It is better to know about these things, than be kept in the dark. Maybe BPI could start doing what Cargill does, and replace ammonia with citric acid, like from oranges? That would help too.

Mar 30, 2012 2:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse