JetBlue to review procedures after pilot meltdown: CEO

BrendaTNYC wrote:

Without knowing anything about the pilot’s illness, I have to wonder how much longer airline staff can handle the pressures. We passengers know full well the dehumanizing we experience for the privilege of traveling in a can. What must it be like to work a desk in an airport (volleying verbal and sometimes physical attacks) or work as a flight attendant (regularly treated like a scullery maid/nanny) or be the pilot in an industry constantly merging, without the glamor and salary it once had? Add to that the constant federal regulations and real threats to his/her own safety and responsibility for hundreds (if not more) lives; it’s remarkable these breakdowns don’t happen more often.

Mar 28, 2012 9:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ritchiebaby2 wrote:

“I’ve known the captain personally for a long period of time and there’s been no indication of this at all,” Barger said, adding that the pilot was a “consummate professional.”

Is this not much the same as they say about terrorists? Like the lad in France who was a “Nice Guy” , but by the way he was on FBI list for worth of watching!!! Why is it they always say this after the fact!!!

Mar 28, 2012 9:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ShepHyken wrote:

My take on this is that employee and customer training was able to thwart the JetBlue disaster. Because of some excellent training and common sense, by both the crew and the passengers, disaster was avoided.
Regarding employee training in the face of emergencies, Dave Barger, CEO and President of JetBue, praised the co-pilot and the crew for how they handled the situation. He specifically mentioned how the training in crises situations paid off. He also praised the passengers.
Then there is customer training. Typically this is where a company trains their customers on how to use their products. For example, most passengers will use an airline’s website to book their tickets. The airlines gave incentives to book online, eventually getting passengers to try booking their tickets through their website. In a sense, they trained the customer on how to buy.
But, JetBlue didn’t train the passengers. The events of 911 and the media did. The terrorist’s attacks of 911 are forever etched into our memories. Numerous television interviews covered how passengers might react to terrorist situations. These trained the passengers on what to do in a similar situation. Knowing what could happen on the JetBlue flight, passengers risked their lives to tackle Osbon to the floor and did what was necessary to eliminate the threat.
Shep Hyken, customer service expert (http://www.hyken.com)

Mar 28, 2012 9:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
HAL.9000 wrote:

That is what happens when deregulation takes over. Regulations are there to protect the staff and the passengers.

BTW, if psychotropic medications come into play over these meltdowns, then you have to wonder why people on these meds are allowed to fly as a profession. It places the public at risk.

Mar 28, 2012 9:52am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BlueCannon wrote:

They should emphasize more on mental health, than just physical. A pilot with good eyesight, judgment, nimble movement but cannot withstand emotional stress poses a danger to passenger safety.

Mar 28, 2012 11:37am EDT  --  Report as abuse
brotherkenny4 wrote:

What an aweful and disgusting industry. I hate flying. I wish they would all fail so I would have a reason to never fly again. Alas, my employer and my spouse force me into it. I hate it, being treated like a piece of scum is not high on my list of enjoyments. I know some people feel patriotic when they get the probe, I do not.

Mar 28, 2012 1:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
HAL.9000 wrote:

brotherkenny4 wrote:

—————
Remember prior to airline deregulation when people dressed up to fly and you were treated with respect, decency and courtesy by the airline staff?

Remember?