Struggling waitress to keep $12,000 tip seized by police: attorney

911014ever wrote:

good for her. use your blessings wisely.

Apr 05, 2012 5:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
FortheUSA wrote:

The P.D.in this town stinks. It is theft on their part to hold on to the money past the 60 days.
Whoever is running this Department should have their employment status reviewed.

Apr 05, 2012 6:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mafettig wrote:

When cops become thieves – coming to a reality near you

Apr 05, 2012 9:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
theCURSE wrote:

Amazing. A mother of 5 who is married, WORKS, and has a first name that you can pronounce.

Congratulations.

Apr 05, 2012 12:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
chrisgee wrote:

might be the will of god but getting a lawyer didn’t hurt either.

Apr 06, 2012 10:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse

“this is the will of God”

What a horrible thing to say. It was the will of whatever kind stranger gave that money to her. Giving God credit for that human kindness cheapens it horribly.

If someone had stolen that much money, people would be talking about how evil the person is. Nobody would be saying “This was the will of God, he must have really hated her…”

Apr 06, 2012 10:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JamVee wrote:

Now that this fine lady got her money from that stupid Moorehead Police Department, I would sue the department, the Chief, the City Attorney, the Mayor and the City Council. If I couldn’t find a legal basis for the suit I would file it just because all of them are total JERKS, and if that isn’t a crime, it should be.

Apr 06, 2012 11:12am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JamVee wrote:

Apr 06, 2012 11:12am EDT  --  Report as abuse
MuParadigm wrote:

“On Thursday, Craig Richie, Knutson’s attorney, said … he believed the money was intended as a gift to the family.”

Surprisingly, I think he may be right. It’s probably not coincidental that the $12,000 dollars Knutson was tipped is equal to the federal gift limit.

Apr 06, 2012 4:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JoePublic wrote:

So, the law concerning property seizure could extend to people who caught a whiff of smoke from up the street? I thought they had to prove actual possession or usage!

Apr 06, 2012 5:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
theagitator wrote:

Unbelievable that the PD felt it had a right to steal the money from this honest woman, and yet they are supposed to serve and protect us. The “war on drugs” has been used against the citizenry much more than it has ever served us.

How much of the $12K did the lawyer take or did he do it pro bono, in which case he needs recognized?

Apr 07, 2012 8:08am EDT  --  Report as abuse
justsayin2011 wrote:

These folks are part of the machine that would take over your diet, your healthcare and your personal defence……. Feel better now? Federal govt does the same thing — if you call the IRS and get advice and it is wrong you still get to pay exorbitant fines. I’m from the government, I’m here to help. Just another oxymoron brought to you courtesy of big brother and the progressives.

Apr 07, 2012 2:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
hotdog526 wrote:

And how much money did her lawyer take? I am sure he took his 33%.

Apr 07, 2012 6:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
justinolcb wrote:

God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him ;)

Apr 09, 2012 12:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
pkmffl wrote:

Greedy pigs…I’m glad she got what was rightfully hers!

Apr 10, 2012 11:18am EDT  --  Report as abuse