New curbs on voter registration could hurt Obama

Comments (90)
stevejc wrote:

Why is it that Democrats require voter fraud in order to win an election? It’s no wonder that they reject any effort to identify voters, as their biggest constituency are illegals and their supporters. I have to show ID to buy beer, I have to show ID to buy certain cold medications, I have to show ID to got the doctor! What is wrong with someone proving who they are when they vote? Too much pressure for liberals??? Really?

Apr 21, 2012 7:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RockyFeller wrote:

The rest of the world looks at us and thinks “Democracy – what a joke – only the elite can vote”.

Apr 21, 2012 8:10am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ccharles wrote:

After the voter Fraud perpentrated by ACORN, something that we didnt think was possible, we needed the laws. Now Mickey Mouse will only get to vote once and then only if he has his id.
Too bad Acorn got away with a majority of there violations to the laws of the land.

Apr 21, 2012 8:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Arkie wrote:

Just the title of this article is an implication that the Democrats participate in fraudulent election activities. The arguments that say required voter id is oppressive is so hypocritical. The same “choice” that people have to live aberrant lifestyles, have abortions, etc. applies here. People also have a choice to participate in the voting process. If it is not important enough to abide by rules that help to make the election honest, then don’t participate.

Apr 21, 2012 8:31am EDT  --  Report as abuse
55usaidwhat wrote:

If one is not apt enough to follow these simple guidlines, than they don’t deserve to vote. Having a heartbeat and a pulse should not give anybody the right to vote.

Apr 21, 2012 9:16am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JamVee wrote:

Yes, it could hurt Obama, because he might be deprived him of votes by people who don’t have the right to vote in this country in the first place, or the votes of imaginary or dead people, who were “registered to vote” by ACORN in the past.

Apr 21, 2012 9:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JSparksDDS wrote:

Stevejc – Get over yourself. Republicans cheat just as much, if not more. Google fake candidates Wisconsin to see their recent (and bipartisan) tactics. And passing laws to make it harder to vote is being done not to curb cheating by to eliminate those last minute youth that decide to vote. Now, they can’t. The republican’s strike again. Only in a messed up country like ours do we choose to fine more and more ways to decrease the already super-low voter turnout when instead we should be finding ways to make verification easier so that everyone could vote and we could eliminate fraud. (Maybe instead of ridiculous paper books, the poll workers could have an app that scans driver’s licenses/Photo Id’s to confirm identity and track people…something!) Simply make it harder to vote is just going to disenfranchise young people more.

Apr 21, 2012 9:26am EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlfredReaud wrote:

This has been the Republican tactic for years in the deep South, now moving through the rest of the States via ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council). Nothing to see here folks, move along…

http://www.alec.org/
http://alecexposed.org/

Apr 21, 2012 9:44am EDT  --  Report as abuse
auger wrote:

It won’t make a difference how many laws Republicans pass to try to marginalize the opposing party’s victory – they will still yell fraud when the President is reelected

Apr 21, 2012 10:08am EDT  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

“New curbs on voter registration could hurt Obama”

Well now, there’s a real coincidental surprise. Republican governors and legislatures pass all these voter id laws ostensibly to prevent voter fraud, which already is being prevented, and it hurts Democrats. Who’d a thunk. You just gotta love democracy Republican style. They love freedom provided it’s Republican-approved first.

Apr 21, 2012 10:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse

As an independent I don’t understand the ruckus over some pretty reasonable voter oversight. In my own state the dems had a hissy fit over a proposal to require picture ID. What?! Perfectly reasonable, easily doable. What’s the big deal? The number of people that don’t have a driver’s license but are otherwise eligible to vote is very small. AND! It’s very easy for a non-driver to get a driver’s license for the explicit purpose of having a government issued photo ID. Here, at least, they simply print “Not Valid for Driving” across the front of it. Most non-drivers already have one for ease of accomplishing other business dealings.

Apr 21, 2012 10:37am EDT  --  Report as abuse
actnow wrote:

Obama makes no bones about the fact that weak voter ID laws are designed to help him and other liberal Democrats stay in power forever. The DREAM Act, and weak voter ID laws are designed to provide the extra votes to ensure the one party welfare state Obama and his follower seek. This page from the Chicago machine will ensure that the U.S. will follow the train wreck that is now the Illinois and Chicago governments. I live in Illinois and I know. Illinois is dying from the single party welfare machine.

Apr 21, 2012 11:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
55usaidwhat wrote:

This is long overdue for all voters no matter their preference of candidates. Voting is not just a right but a priviledge should be treated as such. Simple proof of identity is something that should be expected. People who can not figure out simple voting procedures do not possess the aptitude and should not be allowed to be making choices on presidential candidates. We have catered to ignorant people for far too long.

Apr 21, 2012 11:08am EDT  --  Report as abuse
CountryPride wrote:

Really? The media talking heads are at it again spinning a bunch of nonsense. I mean what are there, like 20 people in the entire US that don’t have some form of ID card? You need an ID card to cash a check, drive a car, buy alcohol and cigarettes, etc. I mean these are daily life things and 99.9% of American people have or easily have the ability to get an ID real quick. The crimmigration groups are upset because it makes them harder to commit voter fraud. Go to True the Vote and find out how to get involved to prevent voter fraud in your community.

Apr 21, 2012 11:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

And a special thank you for 55usaidwhat for showing some insight into the hypocrisy of the right…

‘If one is not apt enough to follow these simple guidlines, than they don’t deserve to vote. Having a heartbeat and a pulse should not give anybody the right to vote.’

The right always speaks about American values and constitutionalism, but when it comes to one of the most sacred principals of our country, the right to vote, they are the ones that are trying to disenfranchise people. Having a heartbeat and a pulse should be all you need to vote.

Maybe we should enact voting laws that would require an iq test or a college education to vote, that would obviously help the Democrats?

Apr 21, 2012 11:28am EDT  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

JamVee: A study conducted by the Bush Administration found that over a 5 year period only 86 people in the US were convicted of voter fraud. The threat of voter fraud is a lie perpetrated by the Republicans so they can pass these anti-democratic voter id laws, making it harder for certain demographic groups, who tend to vote for Democrats, to vote. That’s really obvious and if you can’t see that, you are suffering from a denial of convenience. It may be convenient, but it shows weak moral character.

Obtaining a voter id is not always that simple. The elderly and poor don’t always have access to the means necessary to obtain a voter id. A lot of people don’t have copies of their birth certificates. They can be costly. Not everyone was born in a hospital. Not all the hospitals that existed 50, 60, 70, 80 years ago are still around. I don’t have a copy of my birth certificate. I lost mine in Hurricane Katrina, as I’m sure thousands of others did. If I didn’t drive I wouldn’t be able to vote without somehow getting a birth certificate, and frankly I wouldn’t know where to start. The Republicans are fully aware of all of this stuff. This is how the corrupt, anti-freedom, anti-Constitution, anti-Christian, unethical Party you support works. If this was really about voter fraud, state governments wouldn’t pass these law unless they included tax-funded programs that maked it simple for everyone to get a voter id cost free. But that’s not what’s being done, because it’s not about voter fraud. It’s about voter suppression.

Until recent years since the Republicans have been forcing themselves into every aspect of our lives, the US has always striven to get more people involved in the democratic process. That’s what a good, democratically-run Republic does. You don’t try to lower voter turnout UNLESS you don’t really believe in democratic principles, and this is where the Republican Party is. They no longer believe in democratic principles. They only care about getting what they want. Heck, they were even willing to force the US into default to get their way, willing to strike a potentially crippling blow to our fragile economy just to make a point. That’s terrorism, and we came frighteningly close to letting them pull it off.

What makes this so egregiously bad is that there are two different levels of deceit happening here. There is the first level where we have the easily fooled, seemingly like yourself, who believe anything and everything that they hear coming from the leaders on the right, keeping the Republicans in government power who then enable the real people in power, those who control the wealth, to continue siphoning off what is left of Middle Class wealth.

Which brings us to level 2, the ruling oligarchy, those who control the wealth, that manipulates our system and the masses so that they can maintain control of our government and continue the extraction of our wealth and resources. Eventually most of America will be impoverished, unless we put an end to this piracy. We’re well on our way. That’s where the real class warfare is going on, but they get people like you to believe that anyone who questions what is happening to the wealth in this country is simply a socialist engaging in class warfare and must be ignored or somehow incapacitated. That’s called indoctrination or propaganda.

Your choice is to either side with the American people, which includes our Founders (they warned us that the real threats to America will come from within), or you can continue doing what you’re doing, believing everything those in power tell you (through their favorite propaganda source, FOX News), and do the bidding of the enemy, those who have taken over our government and our country. But you have to have some measure of intelligence to recognize this. Do you have that measure of intelligence?

I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
Thomas Jefferson

Apr 21, 2012 11:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlexZ83 wrote:

Every moderen democracy on this planet has very strict voter registration and ID laws. It’s shocking to me that a political party in America complains about a law that requires people to establish a proof of their identity in order to exercise their right to vote. How would one otherwise prevent a single person voting 50 times in a election crossing interstate borders, if not for an ID that establishes who he/she is and where they reside? Democrats complaining about these laws is an open addition that Obama came to power by an election fraud in 2008. A reasonable person can not make any other conclusion.

Apr 21, 2012 11:47am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Watermoon wrote:

Of course this will hurt Obama and the Democrats. Read the following written from a Canadian source. As a former Chicago resident I can affirm the veracity of the article.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/25349

Apr 21, 2012 11:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Watermoon: Why not challenge your intellect and back you proclamations up with unbiased sources? Seriously. For starters, you know an “information” source calling itself Canadafreepress that goes by the maxim “…because without America there is no Free World” is not a true, unbiased Canadian free press. I can tell that. Can’t you? See how easily the right is duped. Look at the current set of article titles on that rightwing propaganda website:

Obama, Self-Proclaimed Unifier, Morphing Into A Divider and Conqueror
By Jerry McConnell

Debut of Obama, the Sanctimonious
By Judi McLeod

Oprahism and the Church of Obama
By Daniel Greenfield

Obama Stimulus Dollars Funded Soros Empire, in Scandal that Dwarfs ACORN and GSA, Says New Report
By Cliff Kincaid

Why America is Devolving Towards Absolute Government Control
By Kelly OConnell

No mention from Obama that the Secret Service sex scandal has yet to be proven
By Judi McLeod

We Are All George Zimmerman
By Daniel Greenfield

This might as well be Mad Magazine.

Seriously, dude. Are you so easily taken in? If that much “proof” of voter fraud existed, why aren’t the perpetrators being arrested? Don’t you think this “proof” would have been touted all over the place by Republicans desperate for explanations as to why they support these anti-democracy voter id laws? You have to learn to look below the surface and apply a little analysis and objectivity. Otherwise, we’ll end up like Germany did in the 1930s. Seriously.

Apr 21, 2012 12:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
55usaidwhat wrote:

USAPragmatist

And a special thank you for 55usaidwhat for showing some insight into the hypocrisy of the right…

The right always speaks about American values and constitutionalism, but when it comes to one of the most sacred principals of our country, the right to vote, they are the ones that are trying to disenfranchise people. Having a heartbeat and a pulse should be all you need to vote.
———————————————————————–
First of all, a true pragmatist would understand that requiring a form of ID is a pragmatic way of identifying somebody for such an important right as voting.
Secondly, you should do some research into “one of the most sacred principals of our country”, voting. Upon researching this topic, you will see that “the right to vote” has for the most part been quite restrictive and these great founders of our Constitution that you and others like to mention did not truly support the right to vote by all citizens. Not that I am in agreement with the former, but lets not pretend that this “right to vote” has been in this form for over 200 years and as easy as it has become.
Thirdly, the “heartbeat and pulse” was meant more as satire which should have been obvious. However, thankfully, most states do require some type of sanity and have a few restrictions which do require more than a heartbeat and pulse.

Apr 21, 2012 12:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
55usaidwhat wrote:

flashrooster wrote:
JamVee: A study conducted by the Bush Administration found that over a 5 year period only 86 people in the US were convicted of voter fraud.

———————————————————————-
CONVICTED! Using this logic would be equivalent to saying there is not an estimated 12.5 million plus illegal immigrants in the USA because they have not be Convicted yet. Furthermore, for somebody who is set on blaming one political party for all these problems, I am surprised you would trust any study conducted by the Bush Administration.
I suggest an article from the Huffington Post to enlighten you to the possibility that perhaps more than 86 people in the USA have voted fraudulently.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-foster/democrats-benefit-from-illegal-immigrants-voting_b_1418523.html

Either way, requiring an ID for such an important event is long overdue. It’s required for nearly everything else including many insignificant things, and this should be no exception. Forget the politics, it makes sense. It’s that simple!!

Apr 21, 2012 12:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
KDupre wrote:

“The types of laws have varied, but state by state they’ve added up to the fact that it’s going to be harder for young people to get registered and vote in this election cycle,” said Heather Smith, president of Rock the Vote.

This statement is complete nonsense as everyone has some form of ID. One can’t drive, buy cigarettes or even a beer without an ID!

The only people who will have a problem voting are those who are here illegally, those who are registered at several different poling districts or those who are dead (Don’t laugh. Lots of dead people climbed out of their graves somehow and voted for our current president).

Apr 21, 2012 12:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
spall78 wrote:

When voter suppression becomes an important piece of your strategy to win it’s pretty obvious that somewhere along the way you’ve turned into the villian of the story.

Apr 21, 2012 12:52pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
cactus11 wrote:

Obamie’s not going to be able to send the bus out and bribe them to vote on election day with a free hotdog. They will have to STAND up, make a concious decision and go register on their own accord BEFORE the big day arrives. JUST like all the rest of us did.

Apr 21, 2012 12:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

55usaidwhat: We recently went to war with Iraq. One of the chief reasons given by the Bush Administration for that war was to spread democracy. About 4,500 American soldiers gave their lives in that effort. Why is it okay to sacrifice American lives and American treasure so that Iraq can hold elections where no picture id is required but when it comes to our own country we’re going to require special photo ids to solve a problem that doesn’t exist? And I won’t even bring up Republicans’ insistence on spending endless billions on schools and free healthcare for Iraqis while denying the same for Americans. Republicans just don’t have a very high opinion of our country.

Apr 21, 2012 1:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

How is it “disenfranchising” or “elitist”, as suggested by some of these comments, to ask all voters to provide a photo id? It would be an easy matter to make driver’s licenses free to those on welfare who only need them for identification purposes if cost is the issue.
And how does the observation “Bush Administration found that over a 5 year period only 86 people in the US were convicted of voter fraud” add to an argument against photo id? That was only the ones caught. It doesn’t address the question, “How many more would be caught or kept away?” with the photo id requirement.
We really need to take the left/right out of the argument and address this in a logical, no nonsense fashion. The only fair election is one where only citizens can vote, citizens can only vote once, any citizen who wants to vote can do so. A government issued photo id is a very logical step to help insure the process is sound.

Apr 21, 2012 1:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
55usaidwhat wrote:

Obtaining a voter id is not always that simple. The elderly and poor don’t always have access to the means necessary to obtain a voter id. A lot of people don’t have copies of their birth certificates. They can be costly. Not everyone was born in a hospital. Not all the hospitals that existed 50, 60, 70, 80 years ago are still around. I don’t have a copy of my birth certificate. I lost mine in Hurricane Katrina, as I’m sure thousands of others did. If I didn’t drive I wouldn’t be able to vote without somehow getting a birth certificate, and frankly I wouldn’t know where to start.
———————————————————————–

A voter ID? You mean a photo ID as mentioned in the article, “The new laws – many of which include measures requiring voters to show a photo ID at the polls.” That normally does not require a birth certificate. And one who has enough time to rant for several paragraphs about the evil Republicans should be able to figure out how to get your birth certificate. This took me two seconds and may help start you off in the right direction.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2337444_replace-lost-birth-certificate.html

I would caution you to not call many people ignorant.

This is a simple issue that should not be about politics. It’s a simple photo ID not a “special photo voter id” that proves you are who you say you are. Nothing more and nothing less. After having been in Iraq for over a year, I would caution you not to even try and make parallels or comparisons to that situation.

Apr 21, 2012 1:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

KDupre: “Studies show that as many as 11 percent of eligible voters do not have government-issued photo ID.”
http://www.brennancenter.org/content/section/category/voter_id
http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/government-elections/info-01-2012/voter-id-laws-impact-older-americans.html

Surprise, surprise, you’re wrong about how many people are without photo IDs, but the Republicans passing these laws knew full well, don’t you think? And note that they didn’t include in their laws tax payer funded programs to make sure those without photo ID could easily obtain one for no cost, which is how it should have been done. Of course, that would defeat the purpose in passing these laws in the first place, now wouldn’t it?

Just because you have a photo ID doesn’t mean everyone does. Bad assumption. Read the articles I posted.

55usaidwhat: “Using this logic would be equivalent to saying there is not an estimated 12.5 million plus illegal immigrants in the USA because they have not be Convicted yet.”

Boy, that’s a stupid analogy. Okay, we’ll play it your way. 120 were charged. Only 86 were convicted. The study didn’t come up with any other evidence, and it was a study conducted by a Republican Administration. I’m referring to the study by the Bush Administration to placate you. Would you have found it more convincing if it was a study done by Democrats? Or is no study acceptable because they all prove you wrong? Your standard of acceptable information is pretty convenient. Either you agree with the information or it’s assumed wrong, regardless of where it comes from, even if it comes from Republican sources.

We believe that the number of illegal immigrants living in this country is somewhere between 12 – 13 million. We’ve reached that conclusion from studies like this one:
http://www.cis.org/IllegalImmigration-ShiftingTide

We believe that the number of people committing voter fraud is around 86 over a 5 year period during Bush’s Presidency. We’ve reached that conclusion from studies, like the one Bush’s Administration conducted:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/12/washington/12fraud.html?pagewanted=all

Am I missing something? There is simply no evidence to suggest that voter fraud is a problem. Present that evidence, legitimate evidence, and I’ll change my mind. But I’ve looked and I haven’t found any, nor have I seen Republicans present any. That’s because it doesn’t exist. Are you suggesting that Republicans are above passing laws like these for political gain? That would be delusional.

Apr 21, 2012 1:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ccharles wrote:

The reason for wanting and needing voting laws is this last election, not really any other time. After the fact, seeing what ACORN did was astounding. Then to see how outlandishly they went on the wrong side of doing things makes the accusations of there voter fraud seem like it was probably only the tip of the iceberg in regards to the number of invalid votes they casted. THAT IS WHAT MAKES THE LAWS NECESSARY.
Not the illegal immigrants in the usa, or the party lines, nor can i see any other reason for laws to prove that your a real person before you cast your vote. Just the last election.

Apr 21, 2012 2:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

55usaidwhat: First of all, your “solution” is only convenient if you own or have access to a computer. I’m sure you’d agree that this would not be the case with most people who don’t have voter ID to begin with, poor and elderly. As I stated to KDupre, just because you have one doesn’t mean that everyone does. You probably haven’t spent much time in really rural areas, like in the Mississippi Delta or the Appalachia. Or among a lot of elderly people in anywhere rural USA.

Secondly, I checked out the link you provided. I randomly chose one of the “services” for ordering a birth certificate. They wanted $80.45. No thanks.
http://www.expressvitals.com/birth.certificate

The second one I tried doesn’t give you your total until after you’ve ordered. That’s sweet. However, it does state that their fee is $49 and the state fees are between $11 – $69, so at a minimum it will cost you $60, and a maximum of $118. For a lot of poor people, $20 is too much. Though I understand that Republicans don’t have much sympathy for the poor. Let Jesus take care of them.

Should I continue with more examples, or was that enough? Those were 2 random samples. Unless it was just coincidence that I chose the 2 most expensive, I’d venture to guess that they’re all pretty much the same. If the Republican Party is going to take away the ability for a sizable number of people to vote because of their fear of too many Democrats voting…er, I mean, unverifiable voter fraud, then they should also cover all costs for people to get photo IDs and make it as convenient as possible. That would be civil. That would be in line with the principles of democracy. But as what should be becoming increasingly clear, this wasn’t about democratic principles. This was a political power play, pure and simple. You don’t go looking for a solution to problems that don’t exist, especially when they do more harm than good.

I also find it odd that the same information required to get one of these online birth certificates is the same information required to register to vote, minus the credit care number. So you have people running around in this big circuitous loop to acquire a photo ID that isn’t any safer than just registering to vote. It’s just harder and more costly, which is the idea, right?

Apr 21, 2012 2:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

KDupre: “Studies show that as many as 11 percent of eligible voters do not have government-issued photo ID.”
That doesn’t change the fact that they’re quite easy to attain. And let’s not forget that a great many people (probably far more than 11%) have no interest in voting whatsoever.
KDupre: “And note that they didn’t include in their laws tax payer funded programs to make sure those without photo ID could easily obtain one for no cost, which is how it should have been done.” OK. I agree. But that doesn’t mean we should “throw the baby out with the bath water”. Logic says we should attempt to get the law amended, not thrown out.
As long as we insist on taking one side or the other, rather that looking for the middle ground, we’re part of the problem, not the solution.

Apr 21, 2012 2:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
RPhillips111 wrote:

Any measures taken to combat fraud or assist organized groups to get their voters to the polls by extended voting periods will likely reduce the number of votes Obama receives.

However, the Obama campaign has received an enormous potential election asset. Recently, an alphabet Co. headquartered in Spain bought the company which will count many of the votes cast inthe Presdential election. There will be no way to trace the votes or verify or validate them. And the Company is associated with an Obama supporter who has set up a number of companies and spent a lot of money to “liberalize” voting in the US–George Soros.

Apr 21, 2012 3:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jg1006 wrote:

I wander how many votes were illegal the first time around

Apr 21, 2012 4:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Regarding the Soros owned company (SCYTL) – a quick search turned up a number of biased sources. Doesn’t mean it isn’t true or cause for concern. However, having worked with IT auditors in the past, I’d guess a well designed auditing plan could be devised and, to keep things balanced, perhaps it could be an audit firm owned by someone on the right. Instead of going off the deep end so quckly, let’s come together on solutions to insure a fair election.

Apr 21, 2012 5:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
IamBAD wrote:

The GOP just added a new “law/requirement” to the old “Jim Crow Laws”…I’m suprised that the GOP doesn’t revert to the oldest voter requirement: “Free, White, Over 21 Years of Age, and a Property Owner”…

Apr 21, 2012 5:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mittin12 wrote:

I am so proud of our Republican legislators. Finally they are stopping the uneducalted poor, black and hispanics from voting. These people are ruining America by making it harder for business to make money. Mitt is right when he says that anyone who entered the US illegally and their offspring need to be deported regardless of how long they have been here. No amnesty or they will vote us out of power.

Apr 21, 2012 5:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ScottWS wrote:

Here in MN, they are pushing for voter fraud laws even though there really isn’t an issue here. In every state where these laws have passed, there are usually less than 10 voter fraud cases per cycle (as a side note, most of those cases revolve around allowing ex felons to vote – something not prevented by the new laws). At the same time these new laws will exclude thousands of eligible voters from the poles because they don’t have the proper ID. If you think these laws were created to solve a voter fraud issues, you are a fool.

Apr 21, 2012 6:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ScottWS wrote:

Hey, ccharles, that was registration fraud, not voter fraud – Nice try though. Little known fact: ACORN actually was the organization that alerted election officials about inconsistencies in their registration forms.

Apr 21, 2012 6:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

DevilsAdvocate & RPhillips111: Why is it so important to you to spread information that isn’t true? Why are you so afraid of the truth?
http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/scytl.asp

Apr 21, 2012 7:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
texoman wrote:

This makes no sense to even argue this point! In a Test, It took about one minute for a computer expert to compromise these new computer voting machines that we now are forced to use. He changed the count and it wasn’t detected by the observers! Most of these machines don’t have a paper back up so there’s no way to know if someone stole the election or not! This is how the election was stolen by the Republicans in 2000 and 2004. The exit polls showed Bush lost both by a large margin!

Apr 21, 2012 9:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
KyuuAL wrote:

Restricting a particular demographic from voting is considering prevention of voter fraud?

This is a Fascist policy.

Apr 21, 2012 9:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
KyuuAL wrote:

One way to counteract all this:

Get all the young people informed about the process.

Apr 21, 2012 9:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Patriot_70 wrote:

The voter laws that were passed were designed to show that the person voting was actually that person. How does that hurt anyone?

Oh, wait, I know.

During the last presidential election, there were reports of bus-loads of people going from polling place to polling place, registered under dozens of names, voting for Obama. Sadly, the press did not follow up on many of these stories – and the Justice Department has refused to prosecute the fraud they did catch in the act because it was black voters. See, someone made the command decision (Holder himself) that a black voter, being a minority himself, cannot violate voting laws by registering under dead peoples names.

So while ACORN was out getting names off of tombstones, registering people and handing out the cards on the way to the next voting place, our country was being flushed. Thanks ACORN.

So, I guess that Mister Obama would prefer that these laws do not make it on the books.

Oh, laughing, one precinct in a northern state (forgot which one now,) had more votes for Obama than they had total population. Now, we need MORE of that if you are a democrat.

Apr 21, 2012 10:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

Hey, unPatriot. Need I remind you that Eric Holder wasn’t the Attorney General when the last Presidential election took place? Did that little insignificant fact slip your mind? If there were really all of these voting laws being broken in 2008, then shouldn’t you be directing your racist ire toward Bush and his Attorney General, who would have been acting Attorney General Peter Keisler or Attorney General Michael Mukasey?

You make all of these preposterous charges and back them up with zip. And this is your defense for the Republican voter suppression laws. Some FOX News or some rightwing rag states that ACORN registered dead people to vote for Obama so therefore Republican Governors and State Legislators are getting even by passing legislation to suppress voting in America. Sad.

Apr 21, 2012 11:09pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

As many have stated, factually, that the rate of voter fraud in this country is virtually non-existent, the GOP has manufactured a problem to solve that does not exist. One has to ask themselves why they would do this, I believe the answers is obvious, to help swing future elections in their favor.

Simple as that!

Apr 21, 2012 11:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sensibility wrote:

The rate of voter fraud is nonexistent because the people doing the counting have a vested interest in perpetuating the fraud.

You know, simply requiring an ID to vote doesn’t necessarily mean you want fewer people to vote, it just means you want everyone to vote once, in their own district. Any discussion of the merits beyond that are political gambits.

Apr 21, 2012 11:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
borisjimbo wrote:

What voter fraud by ACORN? That was debunked. Why does the GOP need the help of a friendly Supreme Court to win elections? Why do they need to disenfranchise citizens in order to win?

Apr 21, 2012 12:35am EDT  --  Report as abuse
cs123 wrote:

Laws that target particular groups are unconstitutional.

Apr 22, 2012 1:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Johnnyk wrote:

it is clear the GOP wants to suppress the vote….

Apr 22, 2012 2:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gregson8000 wrote:

The only people this will prevent from voting will be the illegal immigrants that Obama is currently trying to keep..just to get re-elected

Apr 22, 2012 2:33am EDT  --  Report as abuse
NJ989 wrote:

Yes the excuses for Obama’s defeat in November start .

Requiring Photo ID to vote … oh the humanity !

Apr 22, 2012 7:42am EDT  --  Report as abuse
verarose wrote:

ACORN was never found to use any sort of voter fraud. They simply registered voters who were not the elite.
Republicans have always been about limiting the right to vote.
They have always been what they are now.

Apr 22, 2012 7:51am EDT  --  Report as abuse
verarose wrote:

The political right has always used underhanded methods to limit the voting rights of Americans. Make no mistake, the efforts of the past 4 years are the most wide ranging and abusive.
When you put right wingers in positions of authority, the result is always the same. We have a majority of the Supreme Court who will use any method to curb the right to vote that every citizen deserves.
Is there a simple to understand graphic that shows where the right wing measures have been passed?

Apr 22, 2012 8:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
flashrooster wrote:

verarose: This site looks pretty reliable: http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/voter-id.aspx

Apr 22, 2012 11:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Iam11Alpha wrote:

Hopefully the DOJ is paying attention

Apr 22, 2012 3:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Jayne4 wrote:

Florida’s laws are unconstitutional – one of our most basic rights is the right to vote – how long will it take to rectify this? When the League of Women Voters aren’t doing registration in a State you know how onerous the law is!!

Apr 22, 2012 3:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Robert76 wrote:

I am not amused at all the claims from Republicans that the Democrats are relying on voter fraud to get elected. As a former Repulican who actually reads rather than rely on the Fake News Network for my facts, I well recall that it was the Republicans at Watergate, it was the Republicans that came up with the Swiftboat Veterans (who came out with half truths and innuendos to sink a real veteran), and it was the Voter Registration Groups hired by the Republicans that went around registering people to vote and then threw away the registrations of anyone who was registering for the Democrats, which the voters did not find out until they went to the polls only to be told they were not registered.

Hypocracy and voter fraud should be ferreted out where ever it is found. If the Repubs want to pass what they call “voter fraud” laws, then they need to also make registration available to all instead of making the requirements vary from state to state, city to city, and even district to district. What they are doing is the True Voter Fraud.

Apr 22, 2012 3:55pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dw1206 wrote:

I don’t figure it’s going to hurt Obama anymore than it would the GOP, since Seniors tend to be a large part of the targeted group, and most Seniors tend to vote Republican!

Apr 22, 2012 4:59pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dw1206 wrote:

408 people were accused in September 2008 of voter fraud for the 2008 election in Viginia. 39 people out of the 408 have been charged, the rest were unfounded. 3,758,059 people turned out to vote in Virginia in 2008. Are 39 possible fraudsters going to reverse the outcome of the election? I think we have more to worry about with our corrupt politicians on the take, as well as huge special interest groups like ALEC dictating out State and Federal laws!

Apr 22, 2012 5:07pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
paintcan wrote:

It is the least financially stable. more transient and poorest part of the population that is being targeted by the voter registration requirements.

Republicans don’t really see you if you haven’t got the money, property and clout. The wealthy classes of society have always behaved like that. They would just as soon have the poorest parts of their population shipped off somewhere else or drop dead.

No doubt there is some voter fraud. But this article only mentions the fraud that the low- income groups can perpetrate. Yet it surprises me that Church group registration drives are suffering too. Those voters would tend to be long-term residents with stable community roots.

Apr 22, 2012 7:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
anissimene wrote:

Flashrooster I really like you:-)
As an outsider : I do recall that President Obama won fair and square the last election, with an undeniable margin.
However I do remember that in 2000 the issue was not so fair and square. At the end there was a real sense of cheating. But then again…..I may not remember well. Ciao

Apr 23, 2012 3:29am EDT  --  Report as abuse

Voting laws passed by Republican-led legislatures in a dozen states during the past year have sharply restricted voter-registration drives that typically target young, low-income, African-American and Hispanic voters – groups that have backed the Democratic president by wide margins.
———–
These new voting laws are “targeting” ANYONE. They are simply there to guard against the widespread VOTER FRAUD that took place in 2008. In a civilized society, citizens possess proof of WHO THEY ARE–and routinely USE IT to function in society. What is wrong with protecting the vote and legitimizing the process instead of looking the other way and allowing one party to STEAL an election? This whole argument is INSANE.

Apr 23, 2012 9:41am EDT  --  Report as abuse
sharonsj wrote:

There is virtually no voter fraud in this country. 50 cases in 10 years amounts to one case per every 10 states each year. It’s a made-up problem by the Republicans in an effort to keep Democrats from voting. And judging by many of the comments here, the average American remains incredibly stupid and willfully blind to the facts.

Apr 23, 2012 11:38am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Danram wrote:

Oh my God!!! You mean that … GASP!!! … people who vote illegally tend to vote for Democrats????

Wow!!! Who knew? Guess this explains why they’re so adamantly against voter ID requirements, huh?

Apr 23, 2012 11:58am EDT  --  Report as abuse
QuidProQuo wrote:

OMG! It is not that difficult to register yourelf to vote. It’s pretty dang easy. I totally understand that some people out there want to ensure that others have the basic understanding of how and where to register. I think that is wonderful. Just stop making this issue some big crisis when it’s not. Fraud exists. Rather than just letting the best man/woman win based on real votes, some people prefer to juice things up. Why? I have no flippin clue. I don’t see how that helps America in the least.

Apr 23, 2012 12:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Shefali wrote:

Showing an ID to vote should be a no-brainer. Allowing some people to vote more than once, or allowing illegals to vote dilutes the votes of the rest of us – so it ruins the whole idea of representative government.

If there are people who are too poor or too old or whatever to have a photo ID – we can pass laws to provide them with photo IDs. I don’t want anyone not able to vote because they cannot get an ID. However, I also don’t want dead people voting, etc.

Apr 23, 2012 12:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Shefali wrote:

BTW, if there ARE people who do not have photo-IDs – due to legitimate reasons such as being born at home (no birth certificate), etc., then we should address that issue separately. Helping provide these people with a photo-ID will help them with many aspects of life aside from voting – for example, with opening a bank account. So, let’s make sure everyone can get a photo ID regardless of their poverty, age, etc.

Making sure we do not have fraud during the voting process is important for the legitimacy of the process. Voter-ID laws seem sensible to me. Other restrictions – such as not allowing people to vote on a Sunday – I don’t think are a good idea. Everyone who is legally eligible to vote should be able to do so. But voter-ID laws seem to be a no-brainer.

Apr 23, 2012 12:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Doug8765 wrote:

This is a good article, but the impression given is that we should make it easy for voting. I don’t agree. Everybody should have the right to vote, yes, but voters should take seriously the responsibility to vote. Too much effort has been made to get people to vote such that fraud has been enabled. Why should someone who never registered before be able to show up on election day and register at the last moment? No wonder there’s so much fraud.

Apr 23, 2012 1:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
stljoe2 wrote:

When the political left is equally up in arms about how ID requirements prevent the elderly and poor from purchasing handguns we can have a serious discussion about how verifying your identity before voting is simple inexpensive common sense tactic to thwart fraud and election tampering. You want people to be able to just walk in and claim they are any random name out of the phone book and vote? Seriously?

Apr 23, 2012 1:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
cas4 wrote:

Why don’t you just state it plainly – Dems are worried they won’t win if they can’t cheat.

Apr 23, 2012 2:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
chardest wrote:

We now live in a country in which we MUST PROVE we have health care coverage of BE FINED BY THE IRS

but do NOT have to prove we are citizens to vote.

anybody else see a problem with that?

Apr 23, 2012 2:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

I find it funny, and hypocritical that the Party that has I believe the only President George W Bush in 2000 to be Elected by the Supreme Court instead of by the people, and the electoral college to be worried about voter fraud. Especially with what happened in Florida with Jeb as governor. No this is pure , and simple Voter Supppresion. Hey Republican’s what happened to upholding the constitution? Or is that just the part’s you like ???

Apr 23, 2012 2:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
valwayne wrote:

Anybody who registered in 2008 and actually voted will still be registered in 2012. And after the massive organized registration fraud that went on in 2008, with organizations like ACORN, states are right to tighten up the process to protect our elections against fraud. And as for ID laws? Those are desperately needed. Follow this link to youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPYUIox64ng When a stranger can just walk into a polling place, mention the name of the Attorney General of the United States, and the poll workers hand the person the ballot of the Attorney General of the U.S. you realize that our electoral system is wide open to fraud on the most massive scale in history. After seeing this video call your Governor and State Rep and Senators and insist on strict voter ID laws in your state.

Apr 23, 2012 3:21pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

The GOP is disenfranchising dead voters, who are known to vote overwhelmingly Democratic!

Apr 23, 2012 3:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

The GOP is disenfranchising dead voters, who are known to vote overwhelmingly Democratic!

Apr 23, 2012 3:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
RailroadMike wrote:

The Republican’s and Tea Party studied their history very well. Mussolini and his fascist Party took over Italy by cheating in elections in Northern Italy,taking over the local and state governments working their way south to Rome.

Apr 24, 2012 2:21am EDT  --  Report as abuse

IF they are not smart enough to register to vote , do we want them voting ?

Apr 24, 2012 10:01am EDT  --  Report as abuse

IF they are not smart enough to register to vote , do we want them voting ?

Apr 24, 2012 10:01am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Alan8 wrote:

“New state laws designed to fight voter fraud could reduce the number of Americans signing up to vote in this year’s presidential election by hundreds of thousands…”

A fraudulent statement by Reuters. The new state laws aren’t designed to fight voter fraud — They’re designed to prevent people likely to support Democrats from voting.

The facts (this type of fraud rarely happens, and these laws affect Democratic voters disproportionally) have been widely discussed in the media. So this statement can only be interpreted as conscious, premeditated FRAUD.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Apr 24, 2012 10:17am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sue01 wrote:

Oh, gee, the President and his cronies are really in trouble? Please, with the DOJ protecting their backs, they will do as they please and have always done…remember Kennedy/Nixon? Try Bush vs. Gore…which, they almost got away with. Try going anywhere in this country on a plane or the planet without your I.D…..only in the new America.

Apr 24, 2012 12:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sue01 wrote:

I forget that when you read from a progressive site, you mostly get, well, progs….progs who cannot or will not see, hear or understand the truth. it is their way or the highway. I am surprised that they can manage to find spouse’s without checking under the hood..so to speak. The truth: In Chicago alone, several thousand DEAD people vote; Mickey, Minney and Goofy do too. Don’t shot the messenger.

Apr 24, 2012 12:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sue01 wrote:

Nope, no voter fraud: Richmond Times-Dispatch) Results of an ongoing Virginia State Police investigation of voter registration irregularities from the 2008 general election may signal a more significant voter fraud issue than some state lawmakers realized.

As Virginia legislators hotly debated a voter ID bill that narrowly passed the General Assembly, many were unaware of a state police investigation that, so far, has resulted in charges against 38 people statewide for voter fraud. Warrants have been obtained for a 39th person who can’t be located.

A majority of those cases already have resulted in convictions, and 26 additional cases are still being actively investigated nearly 3½ years after the state Board of Elections forwarded more than 400 voter and election fraud allegations from 62 cities and counties to Virginia State Police for individual investigation.

So, it’s easy to say no fraud, hard to acknowledge truth, right progs?

Apr 24, 2012 12:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
UnPartisan wrote:

“New state laws designed to fight voter fraud….a potential problem for President Barack Obama’s re-election bid.”

So voter fraud is how Democrats when races?

Apr 24, 2012 3:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JamVee wrote:

UnPartisan . . . Hits the illegal voter right on it’s fraudulent head!

Apr 24, 2012 6:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Fox66 wrote:

I have voted for both parties in my life and am not a right wing person by any form of the name. I am a libertarian though.

I am not trying to get flamed here, but does one not require an ID to gain various forms of Federal assistance, open up a bank account to get their SS checks or to present the check to a check cashing place, by alcohol, by certain OTC drugs, buy cigarettes, etc.

The only way one could get by without a government issued ID would be to be a pure cash and carry person that a)does not drink b)never is given a check they need to cash c)does not receive any federal assistance d)has never been to a hospital as an adult or had their dependents go to a hospital d) Never filled out an employment form where a W-4 and I-9 are required and employers are required to verify the information.

So how many people can fit the above criteria? Honestly my family was poor as dirt and never had anyone graduate from college so I am not a card carrying elitist.

So honestly I am not sure how this disenfranchises the poor in any material way to show an ID. That being said, letting people register on election day, or vote on a weekend seems reasonable.

So how about a compromise that we make voting very accessible but you do need to prove who you are to vote?

My 2 cents.

Apr 25, 2012 4:06am EDT  --  Report as abuse
wildbiker wrote:

The article deftly mixes fact with opinion to paint a picture that requiring an id card to vote somehow disenfranchises people. They list the poor among the disenfranchised. But the IDs are being offered for free. They can’t travel to get an ID, the opponents say. How do they travel to vote? Oh, we take them, ACORN and Roch the Vote and others say. Great! Take them to get their ID. After all, you’re all about the vote aren’t you? Not insuring they register as Democrats, right? Now I don’t know how to address the argument that illiterates get disenfranchised. Doesn’t their illiteracy disenfranchise them already? If they are voting, it’s on someone else’s say so, not on their own understanding of the issues and conclusions about candidates. They are easily manipulated. Shouldn’t the opponents of Voter ID be more concerned with their literacy than their ability to vote? Or is this once again about voting Democrat? Others have used examples of needing to show id. I’ll use a much more Constitutionally-oriented one. I have to show ID, fill out an application, submit to background checks, and wait for an OK to exercise my Constitutional right to buy a pistol, rifle or shotgun from a retailer. But opponents don’t want me to show my ID to elect someone who may choose usurp that Constitutional right. Does that really make sense to anyone?

Apr 25, 2012 11:21am EDT  --  Report as abuse
YUPtrev wrote:

Let me just say that when I first voted in the 2008 elections, I was appalled they did not want to see an ID… Seriously?!
I’m with a lot of others posting here… How is it people can go about normal daily life WITHOUT some sort of ID?! I use mine pretty much every day…

Apr 25, 2012 2:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

These laws are solely designed to prevent blacks, hispanics and other Democratic leaning minorities from voting. Study after study has shown that there has been no significant voter fraud and what little fraud there exists is just as likely to favor the Republicans. The Acorn business had nothing to do with voter fraud. They were legitimately signing people up but they had hired some sleazy employees who were willling to do some illegal things on the side. That’s too bad but it’s nothing worse than what the Republicans get away with every day. Most of these Republican laws are unconstitutional. You can’t legislate away my right to free association. I can help anyone get registered just as much as I can help them do anything else (including, by the way, go to another state to have an abortion). We must not let the right wing take away our basic rights.

If you care about preserving a democracy in this country, vote Democratic in November. Also, help as many potential voters as possible to register to vote and help people without transportation get to the polls.

Apr 27, 2012 9:17am EDT  --  Report as abuse
justsayin2011 wrote:

Do we really want people who are too stupid or too lazy to register to vote, defining our election outcome? Either you care enough about the country to register or you don’t. Maybe they could just suspend mailing of welfare checks and have ACORN reps go door to door handing them out, make sure they are bilking as much wealth they can from the worker in America AND get them to sign a vote for barack at the same time. On the plus side, it might make it alot quicker for those of us who actually want to participate in the process if we don’t have to wait on all those who have to be told how to vote.

Apr 27, 2012 2:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Jim_Kress wrote:

Mickey Mouse won’t be able to vote for Obama is every precinct in the country, again. Also, fewer dead people and illegals will be able to corrupt the process.

What a shame /sarcasm

Apr 27, 2012 3:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.