One in seven thinks end of world is coming: poll

Alydia wrote:

No one knows when the world will end with the exception of God…but we sure are storming that way….

五月 02, 2012 6:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
dolson42 wrote:

So, the Mayan Calendar ends the same year that Dick Clark dies…. Well played Mayans, Well played….

五月 02, 2012 6:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

What’s with the Mayans suddenly? The Bible is much more authoritative on the end of the world but there is no date in the Bible. People always want a date. I can say with certainty that the end of the world is not this year. We could be heading into some very difficult times economically but it won’t be the end of the world as we know it. Especially, since Romney will kick Obama’s butt out of office!!

五月 02, 2012 6:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
xCipher wrote:

五月 02, 2012 6:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
EconJoe wrote:

You do realize that 12/21/2012 has been debunked because the Mayan’s didn’t have leap years and we do, hence the end of the world would have happened sometime last year according to their calendar.

五月 02, 2012 6:47pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Eurobaby460 wrote:

While I don’t believe the end is coming soon, I can’t help but notice some oddities in this article. 1) Younger people are usually optimistic 2)Older people are the most concerned with safety and are the first to see how society has crumbled since their youth. Somehow that’s not reflected here. Logic seems to be a bit skewed.

五月 02, 2012 6:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
abbeylouc wrote:

……..15% of the world and 95% in Vermont.

五月 02, 2012 6:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
MNK12345 wrote:

The Mayans must have predicted Obama’s re-election.

五月 02, 2012 7:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
yankeefan76 wrote:

xCipher- 75%?? It’s definitely the end of the world for our education system here in the United States.

五月 02, 2012 7:02pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

@xCipher: …and the remaining 10% wonder where you learned math. Great reminder to examine yourself before you criticize others!

五月 02, 2012 7:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Crono13 wrote:

The world can only end when the first question is asked and answered. Then Silence will fall upon the universe.

五月 02, 2012 7:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kevinstroup wrote:

Well, 1 in 2 people have an IQ at or below 100. Just saying……..

五月 02, 2012 7:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gladeye wrote:

75+15=90. That aside, the bible is no more authoritative than any other system of belief/superstition/fairytale. Why won’t people make better use of their minds. What other things that the Mayan calendar predict? And why couldn’t the Mayans see their own extinction coming. All this devotion to superman-daddy-God figures can’t be ultimately healthy. It’s definitely created a lot of division, destruction, and pain though.

五月 02, 2012 7:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CleanFun wrote:

Only 1 thing is certain, it will inevitably come to an end. The exact moment and method of our destruction is known only to God, and will remain a mystery to men until the moment is upon us.

五月 02, 2012 7:15pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
drivy19 wrote:

I’ve been awaiting AND making preparations for close to 40 years for this singular point in time. After having “studied” the mathematics of the Great Pyramid, and most especially the “time line” in the Grand Gallery, all that coupled with intense studies of the various ancient Mystical Sciences and the various “mythos” from those collective ancient cultures, I arrived at a definitive conclusion some time ago; “It is better to be prepared and “wrong”, then to be unprepared and “right”.” AND, as a longtime “survivalist” and Vietnam combat veteran (7/66-11/71), I’ve long held that “when disaster strikes, the time to prepared has passed!”

So, bottom line, IF nothing “happens” then I don’t have to worry about shopping for groceries for quite some time. What with the price of everything going up every time I turn around, I figure I’ll “save” quite a bit over the long haul by NOT having to pay inflated prices for goods. But, if, on the other hand, things very quickly “go to hell” everywhere, then I’ll be vindicated AND we’ll be able to “sit it out” for as long as necessary with the “stores” and resources we have on hand.

For us, it’s a “win-win” situation all the way around….

A Vietnam Combat Veteran 7/66-11/71

五月 02, 2012 7:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
James1971 wrote:

Good I’m ready.

五月 02, 2012 7:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
geisthund23 wrote:

1 in 5 people think the media has nothing better to do than come up with idiotic polls.

五月 02, 2012 7:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SteveB83 wrote:

Cipher,

That’s 85% laughing at the 15%.

For what it’s worth, I agree with you and I will indeed be laughing at the dooms day clowns.

五月 02, 2012 7:35pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
1WhoQuestions wrote:

It is the end of the age, not of the world. This still doesn’t mean the next few months won’t be nerve racking, especially with OWS, the upcoming elections, and global economic instability.

Perhaps this is a great year to hope the Mayans were right.

五月 02, 2012 7:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
1WhoQuestions wrote:

Perhaps this is a great year to hope the Mayans were right.

五月 02, 2012 7:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

Alydia, jimmystewart and cleanfun, I hate to burst your bubbles but there is no god. I would be interested in knowing of those 1 in 10 what % are ‘god fearing’ people, I would suspect 100%.

五月 02, 2012 7:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheNaturalist wrote:

There is absolutely no evidence for any of this — or for a supernatural being who knows when it will all end.

五月 02, 2012 7:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
nobarry2012 wrote:

@xCipher

What about the other 10%?

五月 02, 2012 7:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Remember when people thought Y2K was the end of the world? That was a good one…

五月 02, 2012 7:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
KevinStowell wrote:

It may draw nigh for some Leftist politicians but not for me.

五月 02, 2012 7:48pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Evander wrote:

16,262 thousand polled out of the population of 6.8 billion? I believe that’s a complete fail in claiming a representative sample. Why does anyone even print this stuff?

五月 02, 2012 7:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Raster44 wrote:

Here, I thought it was just Republicans who thought the World was coming to an end with Presidents Obama’s Reelection in November.

五月 02, 2012 7:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SDSteve wrote:

I agree that the end of the world is coming. I just do not know when it will happen.

五月 02, 2012 8:01pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SeaWa wrote:

Only one in seven? Out of the billions of ignorant humans living, that’s a surprise. Btw, the world won’t end. We may, but not the world. We are but an insignificant carbon life form in the prairie of the cosmos.

五月 02, 2012 8:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
NorCalPatriot wrote:

Guess I was smart not buying any extended warranties this year.

五月 02, 2012 8:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Davan wrote:

All this proves is that 1 out of 7 people are stupid.
Frankly, I thought the number was higher.

五月 02, 2012 8:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

You think that’s strange?!?!? Three people in ten think President Obama should get a second term. I proudly count myself among the ones who think he shouldn’t have had a _first_ term.

To the point, the Mayans didn’t have indoor plumbing and they practiced human sacrifice. In the modern world, only the Occupy Movement is comparable.

But seriously, folks, just because those savages devised their own calendar, that’s no reason to pretend they predicted the end of the world. Relax. It’s not all over in December. When your drug store starts offering 2013 calendars, go ahead … take one. It’s going to be all right.

五月 02, 2012 8:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheNaturalist wrote:

Obviously, my very first post on the Reuters board did not make it past the resident censor. So I am re-posting it.

Science provides the evidence that the world will come to an end, sooner or later, one way or another. However, there is no evidence for a supernatural being out there who knows when it will happen.

五月 02, 2012 8:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
LeftyJax wrote:

In other news: 6 of 7 DON’T think the end of the world is coming

五月 02, 2012 8:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
giamoose wrote:

Dick Clark is dead. No more New Years Eves. The Mayans were right!

五月 02, 2012 8:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SleeperG wrote:

So, should we put off Christmas shopping this year, just in case?

五月 02, 2012 8:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
rmangi wrote:

People are stupid, that’s not news. Put down your Bibles and study science.

五月 02, 2012 8:34pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Maxspeed wrote:

Well facts are facts Christ and the Angels didn’t know a date but GOD the Father… Does. The Alpha and the Omega the beginning and thee end…. The one who knows all including if you except his Son and repent of YOUR sins… Or not. That writes your name in the book of life because he knew you would well in advance of your arrival. I say this the Mayan date is not the date…. But GOD does work in mysterious ways! Second Peter states that he is patient not wanting any to be lost…. Because he loves you and even lowly I . So who’s to say that the Lord who works in Mysterious ways won’t use this occasion where some might in fear finally except GOD into their lives Via his Son

五月 02, 2012 8:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
MeneMeneTekel wrote:

USAPragmatist … sounds like you have some doubt. After all you are a pragmatist.

五月 02, 2012 8:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mewp1 wrote:

None of these people know that the Mayans calendar was cyclical. After this one ends another one begins. They also have one that goes to the year 6000. People . please, grow up and do a little research before you believe what the media tells you.

五月 02, 2012 8:46pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mewp1 wrote:

Those of you that do not know history need to know this. When they changed from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian calendar ( which by the way the Mayans did not know about) they got it wrong by 6 years. That date has already passed and guess what? We are still here.

五月 02, 2012 8:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
boogetyshoo wrote:

They got the date wrong it is November 6th 2012 and the date will mark the end to the worst President to ever serve America……

五月 02, 2012 8:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
HapHarris wrote:

I’m 75 years old and you may add me to that list expecting it in their lifetimes. I’m betting the US together with Israel will Nuke Iran this coming June-! This will lead to WW3 after which, the 1st Born from Hell will step up to solve all the problems of those who remain in the World. Just an “Old News Junkie”. Hope I’m wrong…but I don’t think I am.

五月 02, 2012 9:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
rpsjc wrote:

Just so we are clear, the only thing that is going to end is this fallen world and anybody who rejects Christ’s salvation. Christ will reign on this planet forever. As for the time, we are getting much closer to the final battle between God and Satan, and everybody will have to decide where they spend eternity.

五月 02, 2012 9:16pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
karamar wrote:

Most of us would never have believed there could be a communist coup in the United States, but here we are. That certainly adds to the premonition for a lot of folks. And, the current occupant certainly fills the bill as the anti-christ, along with being anti-american.

五月 02, 2012 9:30pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Amazing how some dopey ancient bs calender could influence so many goof balls……

五月 02, 2012 9:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jammies wrote:

I completely believe in the Biblical prophecies about the “end times”, but I DON’T “fear it”….I have NO NEED to “fear it”!

五月 02, 2012 10:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kolt4736 wrote:

another end of the world scare, just like Y2K only the ”SUPREME BEING,” known as ”GOD” has the final say in man kinds demise, when Gabrielle,blows the trumpet, then worry, everyone bringing out the 2013 automobiles, preparing for next potus swearing in JAN 2013, world end I think not, maybe raise a little hell, but not the end. See the original movie, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE will give you clue….

五月 02, 2012 10:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
signedupman wrote:

So, 15% of the people in the world are drooling idiot. Actually I am surprised; I would have guessed at least 40%.

五月 02, 2012 10:09pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
signedupman wrote:

“xCipher wrote:
This is not news, that means over 75% of people around the world laugh at the other 15%.”

And I guess the remaining 10% know how to add.

五月 02, 2012 10:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Theon wrote:

The comments in this thread show how ignorant people are by still believing in religious junk or conspiracy theories.

五月 02, 2012 10:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kpeavey wrote:

I don’t take a crap without first checking the Mayan Calendar.

五月 02, 2012 10:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Maxspeed wrote:

Where is God in your life? If he’s dead last your making a big mistake. Put God first and choose to accept Christ as your Savior…. Today? More like right now. For those who haven’t read the Bible you are at a disadvantage. The maya date i

五月 02, 2012 10:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
thinker111 wrote:

I studied this in the 70′s when global cooling was popular.
The Mayan calendar ends at the nadir of a timeframe.
The Earth makes a circular rotation every 24 hours.
The Earth rotates around the Sun every 265 days.
The Sun rotates to the ‘same’ position in the Galaxy every 26,000 years.
The nadir happens at the 13,000 and 26,000 year time frame.
One of many (millennial) nadirs will happen on 12/21/.
2012.
Nadirs are like our solstices, opposed to equinoxes.
Mayans only predicted the end of their furthest solstice, not the doom of mankind.

五月 02, 2012 10:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Maxspeed wrote:

Where is God in your life? If he is dead last your making a huge mistake. Put God first and choose to accept Christ as your savior… Today? More like now… For those who have not read the Bible you are at a disadvantage. The Mayan date isn’t the End but the Lord in mysterious ways might use it to finally get your attention. Hoping that you will finally put him first, so that he can finally call the Righteous Home. That day will be the End of all pain and suffering for some and the beginning for others. I am a Sinner like everyone else but I know the Way of the Lord is a narrow path worth traveling. For the Sinner this as close to Heaven as you will ever be…. For the saved it is as close to Hell as we will ever be. Be very afraid the End is near. When

五月 02, 2012 10:41pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bill1942 wrote:

The world as we know it will surely end. Only a fool predicts the date.

五月 02, 2012 10:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
RPhillips111 wrote:

When Jesus left with his promise to return, descending on clouds we are taught, the early faithful took it literally true that he would return very soon–certainly in their lifetime. Didn’t happen then, no indication it will happen now.

五月 02, 2012 10:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
LibertyRoll wrote:

No one really knows but God when Christ will return, but I believe we are closer each day.

五月 02, 2012 10:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
LibertyRoll wrote:

五月 02, 2012 10:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
NormB wrote:

The other six public education victims aren’t paying attention.

五月 02, 2012 10:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
aphs10 wrote:

Agree with HapHarris! 100% true! Sad but true. That would cause a WW3.

五月 02, 2012 10:58pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
stopthejunk1 wrote:

What nitwits people are. The world ended a long time ago.

五月 02, 2012 11:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Disavowed wrote:

More like 2 out of 5 but who’s counting? Go search “Family warning to NASA families” so you tell me? IF my doctor say’s I have Cancer, I better heed his advise, why NASA say’s the SHTF, you better research why and how and prepare. youtube covers it.

五月 02, 2012 11:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Tonylord wrote:

Most of the crazed believers are the Tea baggers and the GOP faithfuls. To them Obama’s win will be the end of the world. LOL!!!

五月 02, 2012 11:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Tonylord wrote:

People with shallow minds not able to think for themselves will believe any garbage thrown at them. The world has gone through the worst of the times in the past without any drastic change. The life goes on for few million years more. The earth was there long before life and humans on earth and will remain long after unless a asteroid hits us. But it has not happened in millions of years and does not seem like will happen any time soon. Rest in peace.

五月 02, 2012 11:28pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
steelerskicka wrote:

it gives the history channel a chance to recycle all of that Y2K doomsday crud I saw 98 & 99!

五月 02, 2012 11:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Patricia7 wrote:

What did the poll say before The One took over?

五月 02, 2012 11:38pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mike696969 wrote:

As long as I have beer and a good view, bring it.

五月 02, 2012 11:49pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
JackSmithFL wrote:

Wow 16,262 people polled for this “world wide” study! Thats 0.00023% of the world population. Hardly a statistical sampling. An equivalent comparison would be to poll 714 people in the US and call it a sampling of the American population. Learn how to conduct proper research instead of just trying to make catchy headlines!

五月 02, 2012 12:34am EDT  --  Report as abuse
HolyChrist wrote:

Then 15% of the people are idiots.

五月 02, 2012 12:55am EDT  --  Report as abuse
eaknutson84 wrote:

All this article does is confirm that people are stupid.

More at 11…

五月 03, 2012 1:02am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Slam1263 wrote:

Will there be zombies?

Oh wait, it’s an election year. We’ll find them voting Democrat.

五月 03, 2012 1:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse

Well, Shabbat starts at sunset on the 21st and ends on sunset of the 22nd. Then, I’ll find out what kind of opening schtick they present that night on Saturday Night Live. Could be interesting.

五月 03, 2012 2:11am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Fred863 wrote:

Currently there is a flood of people taking archery lessons. Why? Because of a movie they saw.
Same applies here.
A movie hypes the 2012 Mayan drop dead date and all of sudden gerbils are worried..

Why do you think the compaines pay so much money for product placment?
The leamings are influenced by what they see in a movie.

五月 03, 2012 2:28am EDT  --  Report as abuse
CleanFun wrote:

USAPragmatist. I hate to burst your bubble, but you’re not the first disgruntled, truth-hating atheist that we’ve met. I’ve seen enough that you don’t have to worry about bursting any bubbles here. It would be like if I told you there were no such thing as automobiles. There is nothing I could possibly say or do to convince you they didn’t exist.

五月 03, 2012 2:44am EDT  --  Report as abuse

It is truly frightening just how many stupid people there are in the world.

五月 03, 2012 3:00am EDT  --  Report as abuse
GrudgeBringer wrote:

Well the world itself will end in aproximatly 4.5 billion years when the sun expands and consumes it on the way to becoming a red giant but the human race will no be around to see it.

Terrestiral life as we know it cannot survive more than another 1.5-1.75 billion years by which time the aging of the aun and it small expansion will hvae increased the average temperatune on earth so that liquid water will no longer exist.

If the cycle of mass extinction and evolution continues as it has for the past 600million years at some point in the furute a cataclysmic event will occur be it a meteorite impact, global viral pandemic or mass geological event such as when yellowstone erupts and makes north america unihabitable which happens to be 20000 years overdue. This event will result in the extinction of the human race and but life on earth will continue and evolve new forms.

五月 03, 2012 4:04am EDT  --  Report as abuse
beedogs wrote:

LOL. If you think the world’s about to end, why not kill yourself and beat the rush?

五月 03, 2012 6:00am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BLURB wrote:

Maybe we will reach the singularity. That would be pretty awesome if the Mayan calendar predicted it.

五月 03, 2012 6:03am EDT  --  Report as abuse
AlexU wrote:

In the end who cares when the world ends. When it does, it does so why worry about it.

五月 03, 2012 7:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Stinker5 wrote:

Actually, there are TONS of different legends,cultures and beliefe systems pointing to the date 2012. Its not just the myans, it reaches far beyong that. No other date in history has many different cultures looking at it as something BIG.

We shall see.

五月 03, 2012 8:12am EDT  --  Report as abuse
beedogs wrote:

what the hell are you talking about with this “singularity” nonsense?

五月 03, 2012 8:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
TheBlackFlag wrote:

The end of the world is not subject to poll results. Articles like this are just silly.

五月 03, 2012 8:23am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Landowner1 wrote:

There is no God. There is no God…and from the darkness a voice… There are no atheists…when they are about to die.

五月 03, 2012 8:32am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RRFIELDS65 wrote:

The Mayans are not off on their Dec. 21,2012 perdiction-only the
world will not physically be destroyed (YET),the holy ghost leaves
this realm.This is the 2nd part(Great Tribulation)- and things will
only get worse for those that are evil after abomination(AC)unveils
in 2013.No the end of this earth realm won’t be until after 1000yr.
reign of our Lord JESUS!And that begins at Armageddon(Sept.2016).
You will have only two choices,those left behind-(333)/(666)and some
will face the 1st death-those that get to day 1335(Blessed are you)
for the meek shall inherit the earth.

五月 03, 2012 8:41am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BLURB wrote:

@Beedogs, google it.

五月 03, 2012 8:47am EDT  --  Report as abuse
SamuelAdmas wrote:

How silly – 1 in 7? Really? So what – the other 6 think the world will go on forever?

五月 03, 2012 8:49am EDT  --  Report as abuse
DianeSea wrote:

The Mayan Calendar simply indicates that humans are moving into the next level of evolution. 243 years ago, the sun eclipsed venus, as it will do on June 6, 2012. At that time, man moved from energy to matter, the American Revolution took place and the spinet piano was created. Worldwide leaders were overthrown. It looks like this time around that governmental leaders around the world will experience their own demise. The people will take back the reigns.

五月 03, 2012 8:53am EDT  --  Report as abuse

1-in-7 believe Elvis Presley is still alive.
1-in-7 believe in Aliens. (Not the ones employed in landscaping.)
That said: A premature end to the world as we know it is certainly in the cards; if it does happen, humans themselves will likely be the cause. Can anyone say: “Monkey Pox”?

五月 03, 2012 9:29am EDT  --  Report as abuse
stilo wrote:

Anyone with any Bible literacy knows that the world is not coming to an end yet. Though no one knows the date we can know the season. Paul writes in II Thessalonians to, “Let no man deceive you by any means, for that day (the day of the Lord; a Jewish expression for the Tribulation period of seven years) shall not come, except there come a falling away first (the great Apostasy has happened over the last 100 years) and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition.” The Antichrist has yet to be revealed. Whoever has the Spirit will know him, while the world will be deceived by him and the great peace he brings to the world.

The rapture is not immediately followed by the Tribulation. The Antichrist and Israel must first sign the seven year peace treaty. This marks the clock ticking for the end of the world as we know it and the beginning of the Millenial Reign of Messiah on a renewed earth. This is why the best thing you could do to prepare is not to receive the Antichrist, but the true Lord & Messiah, Jesus Christ into your heart to be saved.

五月 03, 2012 9:29am EDT  --  Report as abuse
flatulor wrote:

Makes me proud to be British – we’ve got fewer superstitious morons than almost any other country.

五月 03, 2012 9:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Ziegler.zulu wrote:

I dont know if it is or not…but I hope and pray everyday that it does. I hate the human species.
As for the mayans, they are the most accurate of predictors of celestial events. There is a celestial event on Dec 21st…we pass through the “equator” of the milky way.
So my tin hat theory is that the aliens will return to earth, prevented from doing that because of our location in relation to them and the “equator” of the milky way. But once we pass over that threshold, they will be able to open a wormhole and return to this planet….
What? It’s no more far fetched than some guy is going to ride down out of the clouds on a horse save us all.

五月 03, 2012 9:47am EDT  --  Report as abuse
lloydc1234 wrote:

BOO!!!

五月 03, 2012 9:53am EDT  --  Report as abuse
BillyB2 wrote:

In related news, six in seven think that one in seven are idiots.

五月 03, 2012 9:56am EDT  --  Report as abuse
mletie wrote:

what the myayan calender actually says is that it will be the end of an age and the beginning of the golden age and that only 25% of the population will survive. but jimmy i agree with you only God knows when our time will come to an end.

五月 03, 2012 10:02am EDT  --  Report as abuse
812mss wrote:

ALL things come to an end. It just a matter of when … and are you prepared.

五月 03, 2012 10:11am EDT  --  Report as abuse
deenas wrote:

Mayans could not even predict the end of their own civilization. So much for predicting an end to modern time.

五月 03, 2012 10:14am EDT  --  Report as abuse
crowwwwwww wrote:

Funny how the end of the world coincides with the upcoming election in the US, only we get to choose the destroyer like in Ghost Busters. Will it be Barry the super-inflated clown, or Mittens that giant cat? Either way, it spells the end.

五月 03, 2012 10:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
brotherkenny4 wrote:

Infinite population growth is not possible. Neither is infinite economic growth, so it has to end some time. Very unlikely in the next hundred years, unless we get hit by an asteroid. Of course, how do you define the end of teh world. If you mean the end of humans, that’s one thing but the end of life entirely is another

五月 03, 2012 10:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
duderino wrote:

there’s a lot of dumb people in this world.

五月 03, 2012 10:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
theduke wrote:

You can get one in seven people around the world to believe anything.

Some people have a need to believe in imminent cataclysms. It relieves the tedium of their lives. And affirms their belief that mankind is essentially up to no good.

There are fatalists and false prophets in every age.

五月 03, 2012 10:25am EDT  --  Report as abuse
garuga wrote:

there’s much more than just the mayans who are predicting it, i dont think its the end, but a massive amount of people may die, or something extremely peculiar will happen. and the bible gives warning signs for the end

五月 03, 2012 10:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
RabidRighty wrote:

The Mayan calendar did not “predict” anything. It’s merely the end of a cycle. When my calendar ends on Dec 31, I buy a new one, not freak out that the world is ending. Furthermore if you factor in Leap Year which the Mayans did not account for, I believe the end of their calendar already passed and yet here we are.

五月 03, 2012 10:44am EDT  --  Report as abuse
february2 wrote:

Now if we can convince the IRS

五月 03, 2012 10:58am EDT  --  Report as abuse
MetalHead8 wrote:

The end is nigh, the Zombies are coming…

五月 03, 2012 11:02am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Feufoma wrote:

Wow, people are just crazy! It amazes me that in the 21st Century some people still believe that a vengeful god or the like really cares enough to focus on our planet and species and wipe it all away. Let’s please be realistic and not so “Chicken Little.” No one can predict future events.

五月 03, 2012 11:10am EDT  --  Report as abuse
YUPtrev wrote:

That’s great, it starts with an earthquake…

@USApragmatist – Geez man, have a beer or something. “I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

五月 03, 2012 11:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Surge1 wrote:

The end is inevitable, but nothing will be alive on this planet when it happens.

五月 03, 2012 11:24am EDT  --  Report as abuse
j_n_waco wrote:

Actually, more people should believe in this. The world is, in fact, progressing toward physical destruction in a few billion years.

However, Christian belief is not so much that the world will end, but rather than it will be renewed, joined with heaven. That was the actual expectations of the early Christians before the misunderstanding of the book of Revelation began.

五月 03, 2012 11:27am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Wyrdless1 wrote:

“”to 22 percent in …. the United States “”

That is very bad. Stupid scared people can be herded into doing almost anything.

五月 03, 2012 11:29am EDT  --  Report as abuse
rachael1986 wrote:

Ah yes, the Great Mayan culture. They could predict the exact date of the end of the world and practice human sacrifice to sun gods along with cannibalism, but somehow, couldn’t manage to invent the wheel.

五月 03, 2012 11:40am EDT  --  Report as abuse
DocTheRock wrote:

This premise is obviously not true. If 15 % of the people actually believed the world was coming to an end soon – they wold not continue to pay rent, insurance premiums, credit card bills, or bother to get married or strive to obtain Phd’s.

What someone will “say” to someone taking a pole and what they will actually do are two way different things.

五月 03, 2012 11:45am EDT  --  Report as abuse
1in7 wrote:

So 1 in 7 people are stupid? I’ll take those odds…

五月 03, 2012 11:48am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Morris656 wrote:

I can say with absolute certainty that the world will NOT end in December of 2012. The reason I can assert this with total confidence is simply that if I am wrong there won’t be anyone to say “I told you so!”.

五月 03, 2012 11:49am EDT  --  Report as abuse
mikesuds wrote:

“Gottfried also said that people with lower education…”

五月 03, 2012 12:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
cbpelto wrote:

TO: All
RE: End of the World???!?!?!

Hardly.

Ignorant people have been talking about how mankind is destroying the Earth for years. It’s too funny to watch them. The Earth will endure anything mankind can do to it…..with the current state of the art in weapons and technology. We can make it uninhabitable for mankind. Bet we are a LONG way from destroying it.

More likely the end of an Age.

Whether or not that occurs this December is up to God. But the ‘indicators’—as we refer to such in the Army—are certainly looing ‘interesting’.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[May you live in 'interesting' times. -- Ancient Chinese Curse]

五月 03, 2012 12:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BobGrenJr wrote:

Well, Obviously the world is coming to an end. It’s just a question of when: 40 years? Humans make toxic pollution which gets dumped in the Oceans which make 75% of the Earth’s oxygen and the oceans are only 2 miles deep. Human population is skyrocketing and humans are too dumb to control their breeding. So, it’s just a question of when the Oceans will die and cause the mass extinction. Google: red tides, ocean dead zones and mass fish kills to monitor how much time you have to live. mensunion org

五月 03, 2012 12:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TomL wrote:

No harm in getting ready, is there!

五月 03, 2012 1:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@CleanFun, there is one MAJOR problem with your analogy, I can go out and touch me car get in it and drive away (fast I might add, I LOVE my STi :)). However you can not touch god or have any proof that in fact it exists.

五月 03, 2012 1:30pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mikej77 wrote:

Terrible!
Apparently 17% of the population is insane.
How could any society function with a load like this not to mention a democracy

五月 03, 2012 1:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Mikej77 wrote:

Terrible!
Apparently 17% of the population is insane.
How could any society function with a load like this not to mention a democracy

五月 03, 2012 1:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
sem042004 wrote:

The world is not coming to an end. Civilization is.

五月 03, 2012 1:48pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
fiscusd wrote:

It’s amazing what some people will believe…

五月 03, 2012 2:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jaham wrote:

This speaks to the reality that our education system is falling farther behind on a world scale; ignorance.

五月 03, 2012 2:32pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Virudh wrote:

Calendar is a tool to remember cycles of nature, events, schedule etc. For people in early times it was more used to predict weather for food safety etc. So we have 2-3 calendars popped up around Christ era and few around Dwarka’s submersion in water i.e. around 3400 B.C and there are further more Calendars in India. So in my opinion what ancients did was when any important event occurred or any significant change in weather phenomenon, to mark that they gave it a new name or shift the months of calendar( it cannot be more than this because everything else is same day-night, lunar cycle etc. w.r.t. prev. calendar) so as to easily convey the change to masses. With that logic it can be argued that if 2012 marks any of the above then we can predict the change in weather phenomenon let’s say by calculating the difference between Gregorian and Vikram Samvat which is around 57 yrs so 2012+57=2067 up to this year there might be some significant change in weather pattern.

五月 03, 2012 3:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Typhon09 wrote:

In all aspects of life, we use common sense(most of us) and reason. But yet, even with all of our modern ingenuity and science, we still revert to these backward, superstitious, confabed ideas about the so called end of the world mumbo jumbo. Does anybody believe in unicorns?? Of course not. Why? Because we dont have any evidence for it. Same thought process applies here!! Wake up people and stop living in fear. Dec 21st will come and go. The sun will set, the sun will rise. We will all still be here. And there is no invisible think up in the sky making deals with the devil, or hades or Set or whoever u want to call it. I put all thise in the same category as the tooth fairy, easter bunny and santa claus. Get real

五月 03, 2012 3:23pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TOTL wrote:

I hear lots of people are investing in precious metals like gold anticipating the collapse of the economy. Me, I’m investing in lead. I’ll just come take your gold!

五月 03, 2012 3:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
rickd785 wrote:

How many from Alabama ?

五月 03, 2012 4:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Minjin025 wrote:

@ thinker111

I’m pretty sure that the Earth rotates around the Sun every 365 days, not every 265 days. Just sayin.

五月 03, 2012 4:26pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
the_Gaul wrote:

But TOTL, since you’ll be dead, I presume that’s your zombie that will come to take my gold? I may hobble, but I’m still faster than a zombie!

USAPrag: aren’t these stories a hoot?! If someone is gullible enough to believe in a mystical overlord, I agree that they would comprise virtually all of the “end of times” believers.

Got to be a slow news day when this tripe makes Reuters.

五月 03, 2012 4:33pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SeniorMoment wrote:

I didn’t realize the world had this many stupid people, inasmuch as I assumed actually mentally retarded and insane people are not inclined to answer surveys!

五月 03, 2012 4:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
USAPragmatist wrote:

@The_Gaul, yea I think these people actually watch the movie ’2012′ and believe that a massive amount of neutrinos could heat up the Earth’s core. Talk about gullible! (never mind that neutrinos barely interact with matter at all, LOL)

五月 03, 2012 5:05pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
hepette wrote:

omg as if the economy etc isnt enough to make you depressed now we have the doomsdayers spoutin off. what a bunch of b.s. i cant believe one out seven????????????????

五月 03, 2012 5:08pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
hundredpeaks wrote:

Two major mistakes in this article:

1. No mention of a coming Golden Age.
2. Assumes everyone is fearing this change.

The ones that really know whats going on know that it is not ‘the end of the world’ but a complete transformation of consciousness as we know it!

五月 03, 2012 5:27pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bvdon wrote:

We should just be thankful for what we have… And know it all ends at some point.

五月 03, 2012 8:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
iSamuelii wrote:

Well it will be the end of Ted Nugents world, but we shall go on.

Nobody knows for a fact when the Mayan calendar starts, therefore they also know not when it will end. There has never been a coming to terms for any one date, from one calendar (Gregorian, Julian, etc) to the other calendar (Mayan) systems. If you fail to line them up with each other, you are haphazardly guessing, maybe wishful thinking on their part but not mine. Why anyone would give a plagiarized hebrew date system and prophecy of events any credence is a strange study in the brainwashed masses.

This world will still be spinning come 2013 01 01 at 12:01 am. Barring any insane World Wide War nonsense like attacking Iran over the same ole liars fears and wild imaginations (read lies).

五月 03, 2012 9:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mygodlesslife wrote:

Hopefully, about 15% of the worlds population will commit suicide on Dec 20th. If these people really believe that the world will come to an end because a calendar has reached the end of its cycle, they must the the most frightful bores on Dec 31st and embarrassed fools in Jan 1st every year.

五月 03, 2012 9:30pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mikaj wrote:

Who cares? Seriously. If the world doesn’t end, then go on with life. If it does end, then we’re all screwed anyway and it isn’t like people will say, “Told you so…” People obsessing over the end of the world are just finding excuses not to take responsibility for their poor choices in life and need an out. I’ll bet these people will try to ‘live it up’ before ‘the end’ resulting in them ODing or driving drunk off a bridge before December.

五月 03, 2012 11:10pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Ed57 wrote:

I’m older but I still think it will end (for most of mankind at least) but probably (who really knows) not real soon…I’m thinkin sometime in the next 100 years. I think it will just be major wars, starvation and anarchy rather than total extinction. Definitely a major change with much less people and probably a profound setback in standard of living..

五月 03, 2012 12:33am EDT  --  Report as abuse
ruizsainz wrote:

The percentage will go up as soon as WWIII starts.

五月 04, 2012 1:29am EDT  --  Report as abuse
zengardener wrote:

This is about the saddest thing I have heard today.

why are people so gullible?

五月 04, 2012 2:48am EDT  --  Report as abuse
NickBright wrote:

This whole article is laughable.

So what happens when 2013 goes by?

I’ll tell you: An average of 15% of people in the world will feel utterly stupid; Also, Reuters will archive his story in the ‘Entertainment’ section.

五月 04, 2012 1:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Congratulations Britain! You’re officially the least retarded nation in the world.

五月 04, 2012 2:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
ThinkClear wrote:

I hope those quoting literally from their King James Bibles realize that it is (at best) a translation, and not the literal word of God.

五月 04, 2012 5:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
SkepticReader wrote:

Whether the world will end anytime soon depends upon your definitions of ¨world¨, ënd¨ and ¨soon¨. In about 5 billion years, the sun will run out of hydrogren at its core and start swelling into a red giant. Eventually, about 3 billion years later, it will get fatter than Earth’s orbit, and what used to be our pleasant little planet will be dragged into the enormous bloated smoldering orb that used to be our pleasant little Sun. But our planet will have ceased to be very pleasant long, long before that time, as the Sun’s brightness steadily increases, boiling all the water off the planet by about 1.2 billion years from now. And long before that, only 800 million years from now, all multicellular life on the planet will have gone extinct, unable to cope with the heat and dessication and the extremely low levels of carbon dioxide. When the plants go, so will the oxygen. Of course, not only will none of this happen in any of our lifetimes, it will all happen long after nearly every trace of the human race is gone.

五月 04, 2012 9:26pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
TRashad wrote:

It’s not the end of the world, it’s the end of the age we live in. It’s astrology. The Mayan’s studied the stars and the rotation of the Earth. They lived in the sky. That’s how they were able to predict solar eclispes and other events that are marked on our calendars and people flock to see. They studied the sun and how during certain periods of time it heats up and gives off solar flares. Those interfere with our technology and its efficiency. Also the hotter it gets the more heat it produces, which adds to our heating planet which interferes with its cycles. Noticed the weather…? The Mayans weren’t predicting the end of the world, just the end of what we’re used to. The global economy in shambles…us relying solely on technology..? Anything that is too big will always collapse. If you do some research you will see that date marks end of this age and we into the age of the Aquarius. It’s only astrology. They predicted cyles and shifts, not armageddon people!

五月 05, 2012 6:01am EDT  --  Report as abuse
IdleBoast wrote:

I can’t decide who is to blame most for this kind of mass stupidity; Hollywood or Creationist churches.

五月 05, 2012 2:22pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
IdleBoast wrote:

Regarding the “end” of the Mayan calendar – it doesn’t end, it just starts over again in a continuous cycle.

If you believe the Mayans got it right, then you believe the world will *not* end in the near future.

五月 05, 2012 2:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
patj__ wrote:

you are all more f*cking nutty than a fruit cake.

五月 05, 2012 4:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kbwalker wrote:

Anyone know what odds Las Vegas is offering on this? I would love to collect from the gullible.

五月 05, 2012 5:00pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
BurnerJack wrote:

What is really of interest here is not whether the “End is Nigh”. Nay, the real story is “what will nearly 1 BILLION people do when they are convinced there is “no next year”". Rack up absurd debt? Settle old scores? Become martyrs? That is an awful lot of people that feel their death is immenent and their actions are beyond reproach or consequence.

五月 05, 2012 6:07pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kurmudgeon wrote:

Y2K,, enough said

五月 05, 2012 7:18pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
kurmudgeon wrote:

TRashad,, The Mayans had creationist churchs??? Think before you say such stupid things.

五月 05, 2012 7:24pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
mokaiba wrote:

16,262 people do not represent 6,840,507,003 people. 15% of 16,262 does not mean 15% of 6,840,507,003. I don’t care what math you try to apply. You people are retarded if you believe those polls.

五月 05, 2012 10:14pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
bearj002 wrote:

Mayan architecture is so very retro-ish. . . I’d vote fore bringing that basic form into my child’s locally visited play place…if ever it were to come up for a one.

五月 06, 2012 11:58am EDT  --  Report as abuse
alaskan1st wrote:

My calendar ends every year at midnight the last day of December. It doesn’t mean the world will end. Mayans just had a longer calendar cycle.

五月 06, 2012 1:03pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
doral697 wrote:

They only polled people in 22 out of ~190 or so countries in the world. They also fail to take into consideration that people in general are ignorant, I am surprised the number wasn’t higher.

五月 06, 2012 5:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
LMOB wrote:

Well I’m organised for a disaster on 21st December 2012, not because of any cosmic event but because of the mess some of the nutters are likely to cause.

五月 06, 2012 12:05am EDT  --  Report as abuse
JL4 wrote:

We hear from the religious nuts, the political weirdos, the Preppers, and the truly paranoid schizophrenics. We even hear from the our population’s youth who think this is real because they saw it in a movie.

This is free entertainment, and, damn, it just doesn’t get any better.

五月 07, 2012 1:40pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Eideard wrote:

Always refreshing to know how many stupid people there are on this planet. Some spooky priest who earns their living predicting doom, gloom [and, nowadays, profit through prayer] and despair rolls out crap like this – and the dumbest people on Earth say, “Amen”.

五月 07, 2012 6:37pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
HAL.9000 wrote:

The comments shared here are indicative of the mindset when the world does come to an end according to Jesus. Keep in mind (for Christians) when you pray “…your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” It is not a passing suggestion, but a request that God control things on earth as he does in heaven.

This world is full of pain, suffering and wrongdoing…it can not continue this way and yet have a true and good God overlooking things.

The other thing you have to consider is what exactly about the world will end? Will it be all life, or perhaps certain aspects of living?
Will the planet be destroyed or perhaps just changed? In order for something new to begin, something old must end so an end is needed.

One last word on Jesus “I come as a thief in the night” means we will be caught off guard when it does come. The “signs” show the time is ripe, but as to “when” only God knows. But we shouldn’t be surprised when it does come. So be prepared.

As for all those calling others “religious nuts” and “ignorant,” there is a line for you in the Bible as well…”weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Nothing worse than being caught in the folly of your own “wisdom” after you have been told otherwise.

五月 08, 2012 8:06am EDT  --  Report as abuse