Italy doctors save baby with smallest artificial heart

PseudoTurtle wrote:

Why?

Just because we can doesn’t mean we should.

When will we ever learn that?

May 24, 2012 11:44am EDT  --  Report as abuse
IHTFP wrote:

@PsuedoTurtle
Really? That child was at the beginning his life. In those cases, if there is a reasonable chance of being able to continue his life without compromising his quality of life, I think that it is an moral imperative that everything be done to prolong his life. Your fear of new technology should not stand in the way of progress, certainly not progress that saved a young boy’s life.

May 24, 2012 9:50pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Sonorama wrote:

That disease can be passed on genetically. Good thing Italy’s got an incredible health care system.

May 24, 2012 11:25pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
CorporateUK wrote:

I lost my baby because of her heart and knowing such technical advances are done is amazing. It won’t bring her back but if it means it can save someone’s life and give them a normal life, then I can only but applaude this announcement.

May 25, 2012 9:37am EDT  --  Report as abuse

My son needed a new heart due to a congenital heart defect. Sadly he did not make it long enough to get one. I wish this had been an option for us. This is an amazing breakthrough. And to PseudoTurtle God gave us the gift of life. Why on earth would we not fight for it! If God did not want us to use the ability he gave us to help our children or ourselves, why would he have given us the the ability to do so. My son was perfect in every way but the left side of his heart was underdeveloped (Hypo-plastic Left Heart Syndrome). I would have done anything to give him a chance!!! Soren Blake Shafer 1-2-08 to 1-20-08

May 25, 2012 11:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
gregbrew56 wrote:

Sonorama: So you’re saying that genetic diseases should not be treated because of future offspring health issues?

Perhaps you should have a little chat with someone with

Color Blindness,
Sickle Cell Disease,
Hemophilia,
and a couple hundred more genetic diseases,

about their decision to have children.

I think your opinion would not be well tolerated.

May 25, 2012 6:44pm EDT  --  Report as abuse