Foxconn says underage workers used in China plant

fromthecenter wrote:

The newt gingrich business model.

Oct 16, 2012 11:12pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
OrangeW3dge wrote:

Taiwan companies seem to have a better track record for integrity

Oct 17, 2012 4:26am EDT  --  Report as abuse

WHAT?

Underage labor in Asia?

No way. Since when?

(Puts on his best Kathy Lee Gifford,NIKE,Microsoft,HP,Apple shocked face….)

Guess now that they’ve been called out, looking at you KYE, they’ll have to move to S.America for their workers.

Oct 17, 2012 9:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Vuenbelvue wrote:

Whatever it takes for Apple Corporation to buy the finished product nicely packed in individual boxes so they can sell to the consumers at maximum profit. They reportedly paid some dividends and need to build up their tax free hoard of cash again. We are so shocked.

Oct 17, 2012 9:52am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

*Foxconn says underage workers used in China plant*

And those workers would have to work for ten years, maybe twice that… to buy a single share of Apple.

Oct 17, 2012 10:34am EDT  --  Report as abuse
GLK wrote:

Oct 17, 2012 12:53pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
car2 wrote:

There is a slight Chinglish translation error here: “internship”=”internment”. Used in example sentence: “Apple, Foxconn, and Chinese Capitalist/Communist government cooperate to run internment camps to provide under-priced, illegal labor in order to manufacture overpriced, shiny, brandname widgets to sell to spoiled, addicted, brainwashed American consumers, to further deaden said consumers’ brains and skills with useless, inane activity from these widgets.”

Oct 17, 2012 12:57pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

“When I was 16 I worked in a pizza shop. Had to get a work permit signed by my parents. I guess to a Republican I’d be considered ambitious, but to a Democrat I was exploited.”

Well, labor law would have prevented you from working in a factory here at 16 years old. Slinging Pizza and working in a sweatshop production line are two VERY different things. I think the issue here mostly is that Foxconn is working around even Chinese labor laws, probably due to pressure for production from Apple. And yes, in that case, it’s clearly exploitation.

Oct 17, 2012 1:29pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
neahkahnie wrote:

@GLK: You sure didn’t work full time with your work permit. You were regulated by overworked labor investigators who barely kept up with the traffic. You didn’t work in a factory in the United States. At 14 you didn’t work, PERIOD! You could toss papers or mow lawns but not work in a pizza place or any company. Hey, you couldn’t even work for your parents at 14 and be kept out of school.

Oct 17, 2012 2:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

Why you should not buy overpriced Apple products- slave labor from China.

Oct 17, 2012 7:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse