Vatican may eventually limit Sistine Chapel visits

Kevin88201 wrote:

I visited the Sistine Chapel in early September this year. The description of the people as a “drunken herd” is accurate. I was saddened by the fact that people completely ignored the signs and verbal instructions of the guards. They were really simple. Don’t talk. Don’t take pictures. That’s it! After all, it is a place of worship and regardless of your denominational faith or lack thereof, respecting the rules applies to everyone. I liken it to visiting someone’s home. I am a guest there and should act like a guest. Because of the ill behavior and crowds, I was unable to fully appreciate the art.

Oct 31, 2012 11:42am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Libicz wrote:

That’s fine, let them close it. In recompense, perhaps the Pope and his top cardinals could go on display as I remember them doing in Fellini’s late 1960s or early 1970s film, Roma, I believe.

Representatives of the church hierarchy paraded before the enthroned Pope, they wearing lavish and illuminated (with blinking lights) vestments. (I knew an American girl studying theater in Florence who acquired one, and who had to be strongly persuaded not to wear it in public in Florence.)

The Sistine Chapel may be 500 years old, but it’s old hat art. A daily fashion parade of ecclesiastics in Fellini type vestments before the public would be a wonderful Post-Modern performance piece though. Really put the Roman Church in the spotlight for once in a fanciful and felicitous way.

Oct 31, 2012 7:48pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
johnart wrote:

It is now believed that Michelangelo did not paint the ceiling on his back. There is even a drawing he did of himself showing him standing to paint the ceiling.

Nov 01, 2012 7:30am EDT  --  Report as abuse
LynLeeshi wrote:

Kevin88201, I’m totally agree with you. That’s how I felt when I visited there last year. The Chapel was packed and those visitors took pictures all the time.

Nov 01, 2012 8:13am EDT  --  Report as abuse
t_hales wrote:

“The atmosphere, Citati wrote, was anything but contemplative as the tourists ignored the Vatican’s requests for silence, composure and a ban on taking photographs”

This is absolutely true. My wife and I went in 2011 and no one listened to the rules…They were talking, and taking pictures like it was no big deal. They also did not bother wearing clothes that covered there shoulders or knees. I’m not catholic, and I found this to be blatent disrespect. I hope people can still go see the some of the greates work in history, but I woulnd’t blame the Vatican based on my last visit.

Nov 01, 2012 8:36am EDT  --  Report as abuse
joeyjoey wrote:

@Kevin88201 – I completely agree with you. Nothing is sacred anymore.

@Libicz – It sounds like you have a strong disdain reverence and beauty especially for sacred things. If something like the Sistine Chapel is old hat, what does that make you? Eventually people, if not already, will say the same thing about you.

Nov 01, 2012 9:48am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Cosmo_Spacely wrote:

Why is everyone getting so hot and bothered about taking photographs. The reason for the photography ban has nothing to do with the place being sacred or anything like that. If you haven’t noticed, you can take photos in St. Peter’s as long as you don’t use a tripod. The ban is in place because the company that paid the most to restore the Sistine Chapel has the copyright.

Nov 01, 2012 10:44am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Libicz wrote:

joeyjoey Old Boy: You sound like a Muslim with their doctrinaire stance on what is sacred – Medina, Mecca, and the Koran only – yet, as I once responded to an article on an interview with a Muslim imman who stated that Mecca was the most sacred place on earth, my backyard, if God created it, was as sacred as Mecca. (Since you’re into the sacred, by the way, is Mecca a sacred place to you?? Huh? Huh??)

As for the Sistine Chapel, it is simply an artistic/pictorial event in the history of Western and Renaissance art, thus for a contemporary modernist or post-modernist, artist, archaic and uninspiring. Because the iconography is religiously themed – thus to you, sacred – it, in fact, is Humanist. Art historians and critics interpret the image of God raising up man as Renaissance man creating a new Humanist society and culture of art, philosophy and science.

In addition, Michelangelo’s retablo/altar piece – the Damnation/Inferno – in the Chapel has been exhaustively analyzed by art historians as to form and content, and they conclude that Michelangelo did not believe in the truth of the Damnation. Do you?? Huh??

As for me, I’m relatively old in age, but surprisingly youthful in my habits and my thoughts. This, all my family, friends, associates and myself acknowledge! How about you Old Boy?? Are you a revered and sacred, fuddy duddy, or a modern man like myself Huh??

Nov 06, 2012 1:54pm EST  --  Report as abuse