As cold snap looms, Sandy sets NY up for a new fuel crisis

americanguy wrote:

The media headline fear and dispair mongering over Hurricane Sandy is getting ridiculous.
I guess the media thinks Americans do not want to read a headline that says ” recovery efforts after Sany are going quickly, plans are in place to provide needed fuel and repairs, and life is returning to normal in many areas”.

Nov 03, 2012 11:02am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Rich_F wrote:

years ago people should’ve switched from oil to natural gas if they own a home. yes its an expense but a strategic necessary one. over the long haul its cheaper in fact its been cheaper for the last 5 years + the USA has an abundance of natural gas produced here. the fact that our government since the 1970′s oil embargo hasn’t significantly reduced our dependence on oil which is mostly from foreign sources shows a wide colossal failure in leadership.

Nov 03, 2012 11:07am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Rich_F wrote:

americanguy, are you in an affected area? have you been without power, running water, lights or heat for 5 days and counting sleeping in a house with young children in frigid conditions? if not than zip it.

Nov 03, 2012 11:15am EDT  --  Report as abuse
OmarMinyawi wrote:

REALLY EFFICIENT GOVERNMENT AND POLITICIANS WITH GOOD PREPAREDNESS.

Nov 03, 2012 11:32am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Randy549 wrote:

americanguy is afraid that negative headlines might affect the re-election of his idol Obama.

Nov 03, 2012 11:55am EDT  --  Report as abuse

This morning I spent some time on the phone with a rep from my credit union in Queens, NY. I wish that americanguy could have been in on the call. Based on what she told me the situation is very bad and the closer to the ocean you are the worse it tends to be. The fuel shortage is critical, mass transit is struggling at best, power is down in many areas, grocery stores are out of power or simply closed in many areas. Drinkable water and food are becoming issues as well in some areas.

My next door neighbor works in the cell phone industry in systems operation. He’s been gone all last week. I just spoke with him 10 minutes ago. He related that they brought in a couple of gas trucks to fuel generators that were keeping the cell grid up downstate. He told me that they employed armed guards as a safety precaution. He was concerned for peoples safety as this situation goes on.

Anyone who thinks that things are “returning to normal in many areas” is simply delusional.

Nov 03, 2012 12:45pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
John2244 wrote:

I agree with Americanguy that the Media gets more hits with drastic headlines. I live in New York City and our home was without power until yesterday. As I take longer and longer walks, its evident that most of the city is getting back to normal. I understand the fuel shortage is a big deal and also that some coastal towns are struggling in NYC and Jersey but the headlines are a disservice to Reuters. I work for a crisis consultancy that supports the US military as well as other governments and regularly am in Iraq, Afghanistan, Haiti, Darfur, and many other places.

Here in New York its bad, it should be in the news, but its not the end of the world. not every story deserves to be 20 point size headline font. It is a bit of reporting zeal.

Nov 03, 2012 12:56pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
americanguy wrote:

From Reuters today also:
“Crude oil and gasoline futures fell more than 2 percent on Friday after Washington issued a waiver allowing foreign tankers to bring fuel to the East Coast from U.S. ports, holding out some promise of relief from supply disruptions caused by superstorm Sandy.”
President Obama is doing a great job handling this crisis, and helping Americans.

Nov 03, 2012 1:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse

I have heard rumors that one of the reasons the utilities are slow in recovering is that the unions have rejected help from companies in other states that are not union. Has anyone else hear this? If it is true, we can suppose that the oil companies are in the same boat. Anyone else heard about this?

Nov 03, 2012 1:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
IntoTheTardis wrote:

I have to wonder where ‘americanguy’ lives. I’m sure he has full power and a thermostat that he can set as high as he desires.

I’ve lived through my share of hurricanes, with power outages lasting up to 5 days, but the storms were always followed by blue skies and mild temps. And, I know how this sounds, even that wears on you. I don’t even want to imagine what it must be like to live a dark, frigid house or apartment without any way to cook a warm meal or take a hot shower or even flush the toilet. I know that people who live in Third World hellholes like Haiti must think we Americans are crybabies, but the truth is that 90 temps won’t kill you, but temps in the 30s can. Hypothermia is an insidious thing that sneaks up on you.

Nov 03, 2012 1:36pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
jrpardinas wrote:

Hurricane Sandy and the great Midwest draught of 2012 mark the beginning of a new normal as climate patterns change and sea levels rise.

There’s a world of pain ahead for American society given that neither its politicians nor its people are focused on improving infrastructure or even organizing for any kind of sustained effort at national development.

The US is organized from the top down but to one end: Military interventionism abroad. And, the way things are going, the American military might end up being the safest place for an American to be.

Nov 03, 2012 2:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
EliteCruises1 wrote:

This occurrence is a portend of things to come. Americans are very short sighted and impatient. Tokyo has an excellent system in place to deal w/ flood waters. NYC and other flood-prone cities need the same. The U.S. Military should be empowered and TRAINED to respond to crises similar to Sandy. If we can spend billions on fighting on foreign soil, we can afford to spend a couple of billion on preparedness and response here.

Nov 03, 2012 4:39pm EDT  --  Report as abuse