Walmart moves "Black Friday" earlier on Thanksgiving

RangerDan wrote:

After standing in line, and being one of the first ones to arrive at where they had stocked an advertised item, I was told that they had all been pre-reserved by others before the store even opened. That was my last foray into a Walmart on Black Friday.

Nov 08, 2012 6:23pm EST  --  Report as abuse
turkeyshame wrote:

So much for any family values Walmart used to have. What about all the people who will now have to work all afternoon and night to get ready? I guess thanksgiving is now more about shopping then family. I hope that people will go to other stores to show Walmart that they value one of the few days we get out of the year with family.

Nov 08, 2012 6:55pm EST  --  Report as abuse
xrcyst wrote:

Seems like a prudent move towards saftey. Most people will be still finishing there Thanksgiving meals. Instead of crowds gathering en mass from 8pm untill midnight or 1 a.m. then trampling people to death as they rush to save a few bucks.It may actually disperse the crowds running through the front door with carless abandon.

Nov 08, 2012 9:38pm EST  --  Report as abuse
willeya wrote:

BOOO!!!

Nov 09, 2012 3:14pm EST  --  Report as abuse
appyhi wrote:

Ah Just another reason I am no longer with Wal Mart. It use to be about family and family values and time with the family. That all changed when Sam Walton passed and it went to the children. I now work for an NPO that is about ppl and community and family and will enjoy Thanksgiving with my family and the day after also. No I will not be shopping.

Nov 10, 2012 12:10am EST  --  Report as abuse
JustinSleepy wrote:

I am an employee of Walmart and I would like to point out about this ad that night shift people at walmart are working 12 hour shifts of 6:30 to 6:30 with no opportunity to actually buy any of these nicely priced items and instead deal with crushing crowds of angry people, no breaks, or late breaks and no holiday for us. In return we get legally required holiday pay and all of a 10% one time discount to use in a 2 day window in December on regularly priced goods. Whoop de doo. I could actually have more money in the bank if I were to go to a different walmart up the street call in sick at mine and save a few hundred bucks on sale items. What kind of incentive is there for barely above minimum wage employees that have to pay bills to do anything but show up for this crazy sale?

Nov 10, 2012 12:06pm EST  --  Report as abuse
pwms1126 wrote:

WalMart is essentially a “sweat shop”. Employees are underpaid, work long hours, not much in the line of compensation for being a faithful employee. I stopped going to WalMart a long time ago. Besides, who the heck wants to take their own lives into their hands trying to save a few dollars??? And as for WalMart being “all American”, bah to that. Their are employees in Mexico who’s pay & benefits are practically nil!

Nov 10, 2012 4:22pm EST  --  Report as abuse
noname85 wrote:

Speaking as an employee that works at a retailer that is opening on black friday, I am so disappointed in the retailers this year. There are only two days a year…maybe 3 that these stores are closed. And these stores just took one of our holidays from us. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and now we have to cut it short for what? For people to yell at me and treat me like I am nothing. That is what happens this time of the year in retail. We are treated like nothing. We are paid barely above minimum wage to be yelled at and treated like we do not matter. I am truely disgusted with the retail industry. And I am truely disgusted with the people who will be in line proving to the retailers that it is ok to take away our holidays.

Nov 10, 2012 8:41pm EST  --  Report as abuse

Let’s just do away with every holiday except Christmas. At the rate the retail industry is going Black Friday will be in February,maybe eliminating Valentine’s Day.

Nov 11, 2012 6:00pm EST  --  Report as abuse
Overcast451 wrote:

I never shop on this day; I believe it’s for a family to be together – so I boycott all stores on Holidays.

Nov 13, 2012 10:53am EST  --  Report as abuse