Lack of electricians delays New York recovery from Sandy

keebo wrote:

Let’s see now, we needed high paying union jobs like this for workers per democrats like our friend Obama and his cohort. Nothing like getting union corruption working hard at stealing money from the average Joe. Work rules need to be followed though, because how else will the unions be able to force more union membership on workers. The unions need to be able to rip off the average hard working individual for more contributions to union coffers.

Nov 15, 2012 11:12am EST  --  Report as abuse
MDickson wrote:

Years ago I trained to be an electrician, even got an associate degree in electrical construction technology. However, when I was ready to work I could not join the union because I was over 26 years old. And union work is where the money is. The only other option was to be in business for myself, which I didn’t have much interest in doing.

Point: Unions keep membership down. Good for them. Potentially bad for the public.

Nov 17, 2012 8:17am EST  --  Report as abuse
wilhelm wrote:

keebo, in civil society we prefer ‘licensed electricians’ who have been vetted against electrical engineering standards and certified, rather than just any person with a screw driver, to do work on which life and safety is dependent.

Nov 17, 2012 8:21am EST  --  Report as abuse
Chazz wrote:

Instead of focusing on HELPING their fellow citizens, games are what’s being played.

@wilhelm says society prefers ‘‘licensed electricians’ and that’s true. I don’t think I’ve ever heard or read that the people in New York are looking for or accepting ‘anyone with a screwdriver’ to help restore power. No, the ‘licensed electricians’ that are badly needed can ONLY come from specific union shops and the FOCUS is on protecting one’s turf and running up the work bill that will be handed to government when the mess is FINALLY cleaned up.

We’ll never see the line-item bill but rest assured more than half of it will be comprised of ‘meal penalties’ and over-time because the burden of the work fell on too few union workers…ca-ching, ca-ching…..

Nov 17, 2012 9:47am EST  --  Report as abuse
jjjjjjjjj wrote:

I read an article about linemen from Alabama came to help after the storm. They were turned away because they were not union. Did that make them less of an American?

Nov 17, 2012 11:19am EST  --  Report as abuse